You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Thinking With Portals Returns

PORTLE HOLES <3 Hi all!

Kwinten06 wrote:
I'm so glad the website is back ;)

We all are :)

Don't you dare plug that idiot into my mainframe...

Mah man. It is good to be back :3

|---------------------------------------------------------|
|BaDOS64 - Beta System Test - Candidate version 0.0.3
|---------------------------------------------------------|
B:\>cd system
B:\system>io_startup
loading. . .
Good afternoon, gentlemen.

I honestly thought the site had disappeared forever! It is very nice to learn that this is not the case. Nice to see you, everyone.

Which registrar did you use for the old domain, msleeper? Just so we know we should avoid that one :)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Omg i couldnt believe what i saw in the email today, thats amazing news!
The forum being down really had a huge impact on Portal and its mapping community.
In my opinion it felt worthless keeping up on mapping because you couldnt really share your map/discussions with anyone except some leftover steam friends, the forum being down felt like a hole.

well but i probably wont start onto mapping again (But will visit the forum again more often and playtest a bit :) ), because many things changed (Well im almost 20, guess its somehow normal haha), i've felt like spending too much time into portal 2/programming in general (Especially at that age) so at some point i've quit it completely. I probably will upload the project i was working on when i have time, atleast i could live a tiny footprint with that.

Its still really nice to see you guys being back, soo.. since the forum is back online, where is iWork925? :D

EDIT: Forgot to leave a little thanks, thank you for returning the website :thumbup:

TheTobbell wrote:
(Well im almost 20, guess its somehow normal haha), i've felt like spending too much time into portal 2/programming in general (Especially at that age) so at some point i've quit it completely. I probably will upload the project i was working on when i have time, atleast i could live a tiny footprint with that.

I'm in my 30's. I got interested in game development when I was in my early teens, and I started mapping for Source when HL2 was leaked in 2003.

Just because you get older doesn't mean you have to give up the things you enjoy.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I guess thats true, it just became a bit problematic to keep on doing this. I can tell about it a bit.

School and especially the social life suffered a bit because of these things, and somehow i couldnt motivate me to do anything else (Somehow was 'running away' from problems, i guess you can say it like that) since i got trouble in family anyway. So i decided to leave the computer for a long time, since the 'school career' was about to go down, and it wasnt a bad decision, many, maany things changed to the good.

I guess today im better capable of splitting my day in doing something productive, and having 1 or 2 hours doing some programming or so. I think i will start onto these things again at some time (since i still got these little goosebumps when i was creating little AI's again or open up P2AuthoringTools to look back at what i had done in the past).
But not for now, im really busy at the moment. But in the future, sure why not (:

Thank you for visiting Thinking With Portals!
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
TheTobbell wrote:
(Well im almost 20, guess its somehow normal haha), i've felt like spending too much time into portal 2/programming in general (Especially at that age) so at some point i've quit it completely. I probably will upload the project i was working on when i have time, atleast i could live a tiny footprint with that.

I'm in my 30's. I got interested in game development when I was in my early teens, and I started mapping for Source when HL2 was leaked in 2003.

Just because you get older doesn't mean you have to give up the things you enjoy.

I totally agree. I'm 40 from last month, we had a beautiful baby on last January, and I have less free time than ever, but I still try to progress in my mapping projects in every little moment I can manage to get, just because I love mapping and develop new things.

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
josepezdj wrote:
I totally agree. I'm 40 from last month, we had a beautiful baby on last January, and I have less free time than ever, but I still try to progress in my mapping projects in every little moment I can manage to get, just because I love mapping and develop new things.

Happy Bday, I'll be 40 this month :)
I usually have time at summer, so I'll probably max myself out with 1 map per year. I'll focus more on scripting and come up ideas for this, rather than just mapping. But I ran out of ideas years ago. I have sh!tlo@d of map (environment) and style ideas but lacking puzzle inspiration

hopefully new mappers will find this forum again se we can see many new custom map.I know that having a place where we can ask noob or pro questions helps with mapping a lot.

-= Check out my maps: workshop, and their .vmf sources: homepage =-

Happy B-Day both of you :)

I'm very excited to hear that a number of people are still into Portal mapping. I had decided to take a long break from it because of a bad case of RSI, right around the time TWP went offline. Now that the site is back, I really feel encouraged to get into it again. (The only problem is that I don't use Windows anymore, so getting Hammer working again is going to be a challenge.)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic