Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Great Portal 2 Speculation Thread

PreviousPage 5 of 7Next

cake was pretty much all portal was about!

And yeah now you mention it, I do remember that being said about the WCC :cry:

Please tell me you're joking. GLaDOS' deception was a major theme, and the cake was used a few times as a vehicle for that. But "the cake" was far from a central theme of the game. And the phrase "the cake is a lie" is only seen/written once or twice in the entire game span.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Yeah what I really mean is cake was what people took away from the game, mind-blowing-dimension-twisting puzzles, cake being a lie and the companion cube's love were the things people really came away with.

I didn't mean that cake was a main theme of portal's narrative, just what people connected with.

I found the cake an entertaining subplot incentive but I still don't find it quite that major.

The cake was a tool.

That is, GLaDOS/Valve used it as a route to get to you. For GLaDOS it was an incentive to complete the tests, then later turned on the player when, as GLaDOS would say, they were baked. For Valve it was a storytelling tool, used for humor and also to add to the dark side of the game.

I see no reason for it to come back in the next game, maybe as a passing reference somewhere obscure, but with 3 writers they shouldn't have to reuse devices.

As for the companion cube, it's been spotted 3 or 4 times in various portal 2 previews, or at least we think it has (could there be other pink cubes?), but whether this is Valve teasing or will legitimately be there in the final game is beyond me.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

Is the goo fluid dynamics or precompiled vertex animations?!

I do my science from scratch.

The latter or a variation thereof I am almost entirely certain.

Whatever the npc_surface used, the fluid dynamics are almost certainly a variation of that.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.

I thought it was all being handled by particles (or at least the in-flight fluids)? I remember seeing people recreating the gels almost shot-for-shot in Alien Swarm.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Didn't the article about DOTA say source was getting cloth simulation, surely fluid simulation isn't far off from cloth.

Hopefully it's all proper dynamics, using pre done animations would suck and be just another of source's botches :(

PreviousPage 5 of 7Next