Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumCommunity Boards: Community ReleasesRexaura
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rexaura

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

Thanks Rossman and Mevious - I was making 18 harder than necessary....Now for 19...

An outstanding creation using energy balls. I am amazed by your "almost" able to solve misdirections in 18 and 19 and then the even easier real solution. After getting 18 with a little help, 19 was easier as I looked for the intended solution.
The collaborators in this mod (credits) is a list of the most creative map contributors I enjoyed in Portal 1.
Back to Portal 2 now, thanks.

rossman231 wrote:
Rock Paper Shotgun has published an article about Rexaura.

Shame they don't link here.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I just got to chamber 16 (will leave the rest for later...). You can see the bugs I found in the attachment.
For me, the hardest was chamber 09 because I thought the orange portal gets fizzled too but it does not. Figured it out by watching the walkthrough video :notwant: There were so many elements... a real mind-bender.

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.

Downloaded from moddb v1.0
Hard to believe that you made the design,mapping and even the music all by yourself.
Took me about 5hrs to finish the campaign
I guess i played all chambers the intended way. I had no problems solving 18 & 19.
The level of difficulty was high mostly because of timed puzzles.
But in the end i was a little disappointed. I thought that you must have made a bts area after 19.
I didn't pay much attention to the dialogues but who were the 2 announcers?
Anyway great mod:5/5 :thumbup: Loved the music and the new elements

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Some bugs that i found:
a line inside the portal. Maybe a textured side surface:ch 16:1
blue reflections in goo:2
Maybe source's problem .White area. ch 19:3 4

Hope is a good thing
Maps made : [SP] PORTAL 2 : After Math
Steam ID : chimera201

I have finished now (if it can be called that...). I had trouble figuring out the harder puzzles because there were those little pieces missing. After watching a video I though "I didn't think you could do that". And, when I saw particular part of a chamber I was like "wtf is that good for". Plus, to reiterate, timed puzzles suck and everyone knows that. Please, DO NOT make any timed puzzles anymore. I lost my patience on chamber 19 and noclipped.
On the positive side, what I really liked were the earlier chambers, the music was great and speech was almost indistinguishable from the original. Keep up the good work.

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
Mek wrote:
Plus, to reiterate, timed puzzles suck and everyone knows that. Please, DO NOT make any timed puzzles anymore. I lost my patience on chamber 19 and noclipped.

I've heard this complaint a lot about Rexaura and every time I hear it, it baffles me. No step of any puzzle in Rexaura requires tight timing (you typically have about a 5+ second window for most of the steps that actually involve timing), and very, very few puzzles actually involve timing. Most of the time, I suspect people are coming up with solutions that they assume involve timing, but don't require it, or just have the solution completely wrong. Most steps of most puzzles you either have infinite time to set up (don't forget that if the ball is going through two portals back and forth, it will continue to do so for all eternity), or a really long time to set up. Nearly every one of the "timing" elements is shooting a portal at the right time, but again, you have infinite time to prepare yourself and get yourself ready, and the actual timing window for when you need to shoot the portal is large. On top of that, you nearly always have both a visual and audio cue to tell you when to do it. The example that you gave, Chamber 19 is a perfect example of this: no step requires tight timing (I think pretty much all of them give you 5-10 seconds) and every step you have infinite time to look around and figure out what to do next.

What really gets me is that both Portal 1 and Portal 2 have a lot more instances where timing is much harder, e.g., shooting a portal while flinging, which is not only difficult as a timing challenge, but you're also trying to hit a moving target. I've never heard people complain that Portal 1 and Portal 2 have too difficult of timing challenges.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this when I originally wrote this post, but I actually agree with your general point that timing-based puzzles generally suck and should be avoided. Also, quick saving and loading can save you a ridiculous amount of stress when it comes to having to worry about "timing" something that if done wrong would cause you to restart the whole or part of a level.

rossman231 wrote:
I've heard this complaint a lot about Rexaura and every time I hear it, it baffles me. No step of any puzzle in Rexaura requires tight timing (you typically have about a 5+ second window for most of the steps that actually involve timing), and very, very few puzzles actually involve timing. Most of the time, I suspect people are coming up with solutions that they assume involve timing, but don't require it. Most steps of most puzzles you either have infinite time to set up (don't forget that if the ball is going through two portals back and forth, it will continue to do so for all eternity)

Very much agreed. In fact, one of my favorite things about this mod was that I never felt like the solutions were strained or difficult to execute. The puzzles seem designed so you don't have to time much, beyond obviously making sure the pellet has already gone through a portal before you remove it. I think Mevious took the worst thing about energy balls and made it a non-issue.

Quick edit: Was the solution for the bonus chamber 02 supposed to require timing? It wasn't as bad as I remember, but it was more than the main game. I guess that's why it's a bonus.
Oh yeah, and getting the cake in chamber 14 was great.

Picture that. In your dreams.
Maps:
SP MonoPortal | Lesson 0
WIP: LaserLock Preview Images

Hello Mevious,

great mod, but i think i need your help (or hints) for getting the cakes.

11 was easy, but im still trying to solve the bonus02, arrrrgh....

14 was really hard to find, but now i can't get back to the hidden room because the door to the first part of the chamber is closed. Help please ....

18 i searched everything but couldn't find anything unusual. Any hints where to search ?

many thx

Everyone, thanks for your feedback.

Mek wrote:
I had trouble figuring out the harder puzzles because there were those little pieces missing.

Hm, pieces missing? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the visual bugs you posted earlier? Can you specify?

chimera201 wrote:
The level of difficulty was high mostly because of timed puzzles.

Mek wrote:
Plus, to reiterate, timed puzzles suck and everyone knows that. Please, DO NOT make any timed puzzles anymore. I lost my patience on chamber 19 and noclipped.

I don't know what you guys were attempting, but none of the solutions require any more "timing" than any of the early levels (e.g, rex_02, rex_04, rex_05, rex_07, rex_08). If you were fine with the timing of those levels then you should have no trouble performing the final ones. If you want to be more helpful, provide the steps you were trying to perform that led you to your frustration so that I can make it obvious that it's a dead-end for future players.

Here's some hints about the bonus chambers and secrets:
bonus chamber 2 solution

Spoiler

chamber 14 secret hint
Spoiler

chamber 18 secret hint
Spoiler

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next