Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Perpetual Testing Initiative DLC - Puzzle Creator, Workshop

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next

First time poster, long time read/player of all the great maps here. I was wondering if anyone who got to beta test this test maker can answer two questions for me. I have been searching every piece of news I can find and I get conflicting information.

1) Can you make Co-op Maps with this?
Seems very limiting if you can only do single player maps. But I would imagine converting it from a single player map to Coop using Hammer would be a matter of just changing the spawn and end points manually, yeah?

2) Are you limited to only entrance and exit doors, with no inside doors to split up rooms?
If so this too seems kind of limiting since a lot of the puzzles in the game as well as the custom ones here are split into multiple rooms to keep puzzle elements from being used in different locations of the chamber.

If anyone in the know could get back to me that would be great. I too plan to use this to make the backbone of my chambers and then edit them in Hammer.

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Sleeper, join us. Become a legend. A Steam Workshop Legend.

Okay. On one condition. I'm producing it, and I get to cut whatever the fuck I need to make a deadline.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
lotyboy wrote:
First time poster, long time read/player of all the great maps here. I was wondering if anyone who got to beta test this test maker can answer two questions for me. I have been searching every piece of news I can find and I get conflicting information.

1) Can you make Co-op Maps with this?
Seems very limiting if you can only do single player maps. But I would imagine converting it from a single player map to Coop using Hammer would be a matter of just changing the spawn and end points manually, yeah?

No, you cannot make coop maps with this. And on release you won't be able to upload coop maps either, though they are planning to fix this later on :(

lotyboy wrote:
2) Are you limited to only entrance and exit doors, with no inside doors to split up rooms?
If so this too seems kind of limiting since a lot of the puzzles in the game as well as the custom ones here are split into multiple rooms to keep puzzle elements from being used in different locations of the chamber.

If anyone in the know could get back to me that would be great. I too plan to use this to make the backbone of my chambers and then edit them in Hammer.

There are no doors, but there are laserfields and fizzlers, big panels that can open. So you can still split your rooms into multiple parts!

msleeper wrote:
MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Sleeper, join us. Become a legend. A Steam Workshop Legend.

Okay. On one condition. I'm producing it, and I get to cut whatever the fuck I need to make a deadline.

Sure that works. I didn't plan on going overboard with it anyways. More or less just generally making puzzles that adhered to some theme in terms of gameplay, and making enough puzzles that built that theme up somewhat. Going to iterate on the whole infifling thing more. Originally when we planned it we were going to have hub world, and essentially each of our worlds would contain a unique theme like in the coop. Though there was no limitation to others making puzzles for other themes.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpwLqTpO ... re=related

The Irate Pirate wrote:

Not the best movie, it's obvious that the makers are really not familiar with the editor yet, but it does show what the easy map maker can do :D

Hmm, any reason co-op maps can't be created yet? Maybe they're just wanting to beta test one at a time. First single player, then co-op sometime later this year. Or is there something bigger at work here stopping it from happening?

Surely if you design a map in the editor with co-op in mind, then export to hammer, add in co-op spawn and end points then compile?

I can see alot of the "groundworks" for maps being done using the editor then the really smart people polishing them up in hammer anyway, so why not change a "solo" map to "co-op"...

gigadrive08 wrote:
Hmm, any reason co-op maps can't be created yet? Maybe they're just wanting to beta test one at a time. First single player, then co-op sometime later this year. Or is there something bigger at work here stopping it from happening?

Deadlines. If they had put in co-op, you'd probably have to wait at least another month for it.

They've told us it's coming at some point, so keep your eyes peeled.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
RustyDios wrote:
Surely if you design a map in the editor with co-op in mind, then export to hammer, add in co-op spawn and end points then compile?

I can see alot of the "groundworks" for maps being done using the editor then the really smart people polishing them up in hammer anyway, so why not change a "solo" map to "co-op"...

I personally don't really see this happening: polishing this up in hammer is kind of a nightmare, everything is instance, and it's just a big hassle. I can see some small adjustments like different indicator lights, doors, placement helpers but that's it.

If you want to make say a destroyed or even old apperture map this tool just won't be good enough, it's awesome to create clean maps, it's awesome to draft and test basic ideas, but hammer will still be the better tool.

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next