Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Perpetual Testing Initiative DLC - Puzzle Creator, Workshop

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next

One thing that I see personally is that this is the first step towards the future. Comming first will prolly be co-op maps then having the possibility of doing a theme like clean underground, destroyed, etc..

I also see this tool as a first stepping stone towards getting people to spend cash for say a different theme eg. Behind the Scenes, Reconstructing or adding custom content made by players like in TF2.

I personally would pay to have say a sendificator in a new map or even custom cubes seen in different mods.
Edit: Of course the person who made the item would get a cut of the profits =)

I came,
I saw,
I ran away as fast I could.
My Steam Page
lpfreaky90 wrote:
No, you cannot make coop maps with this. And on release you won't be able to upload coop maps either, though they are planning to fix this later on :(

There are no doors, but there are laserfields and fizzlers, big panels that can open. So you can still split your rooms into multiple parts!

Yeah I have been coming up with alternatives to doors and redesigning my maps (only on paper so far) to eliminate the need for doors. I would REALLY like it if they made a coop EDITOR, as in real time collaboration, two people building one map simultaneously and capable of testing coop maps.

That would be awesome and revolutionary.

The coop map building was also something that was suggested in the beta, but it's too hard to do :(
Besides, I think that it requires a lot of communication, most likely voice chat before you are able to even make the smallest changes.

Personally, i think ill stick to hammer. Nothing ive seen so far has convinced me that this map editor will be in any way superior. Ill try it out, but it seems to lack the versatility of hammer, and im not going to be exprting maps from it into hammer if everything is instanced and built on a 64 grid. Its not like its hard to make a quick test-of-concept map in hammer if i want to.

I think in terms of boolean variables. Generally, it makes things easier.
Spam Nugget wrote:
im not going to be exprting maps from it into hammer if everything is instanced and built on a 64 grid.

Well, it's actually a 256 grid so HA! But I can say that the walls aren't instances and can be modified. But each 256x256 wall is one brush so expect a lot of selecting. Although on the bright side, this makes editing textures a bit more easier since I don't have to depend on cutting brushes as much.

When it comes down to it, it all depends on the *mapper's mapping methods*.
*Try saying that five times fast

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

128x128x128 :P

The great thing I see coming out of this is rapid prototyping. I have a hard time developing puzzles entirely on paper, since I can't see them in the 3rd dimension, or test them to see if they work. The editor not only provides these two things, but also makes emergent puzzle design much more possible.

For those unfamiliar with emergent puzzle design, it is basically where you dick around for a while until you find something fun, then build off of it. It's more difficult to do this with Hammer than it will be with the editor, as switching between editing and testing will take less time, and editing in general will be quicker and easier.

The editor may lack the power of Hammer to create worlds, but it makes up for it in its simplicity. It reminds me a bit of the TrackMania level editor(s), really.

lpfreaky90 wrote:

rlEjJoOAdGg

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
lpfreaky90 wrote:

rlEjJoOAdGg

No :(

Spam Nugget wrote:
Personally, i think ill stick to hammer. Nothing ive seen so far has convinced me that this map editor will be in any way superior. Ill try it out, but it seems to lack the versatility of hammer, and im not going to be exprting maps from it into hammer if everything is instanced and built on a 64 grid. Its not like its hard to make a quick test-of-concept map in hammer if i want to.

I think that kinda goes without saying...

It's a simplified version for people that can't use Hammer. Either way, I think everyone has A LOT of new content to look forward to and I'm sure people will be able to make some decent puzzles with this, even if it isn't as advanced a tool as Hammer.

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next