Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map prefixes

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
msleeper wrote:
Yeah the whole idea is really awesome, I hope more people start doing it as standard practice. It is going to be a requirement for future contests, too.

I like it, make people do it so it becomes the norm, I'll take a look at it in the next few days, I've kinda avoided it so far because its new

We are all talking about a prefix here.
Not what your are restricted to name your map.
You can call it, thismapwasmyfirstmapsodontflamemeforcake... for all i care... it may be too long but atleast you can call it what you want, so all you need is 3 letters and an underscore for the map.

The prefix naming convention really isnt for the end user, because as has been said, these names are normally hidden under the covers. Most of the visibility the name gets now is due to everyone pumping these things out so fast, before the SDK, etc comes out. There will come a day when 'map' wont be the preferred invocation to run these things, and people will be delivering "map packs" and "bonus maps" instead.

Likewise, I think the arguments about there not being differing playstyles in Portal, so no need for different naming conventions. . is bogus. The game is in its friggin infancy right now, and in 2 years there is no telling what directions this can go once people get their hands on it and start working with it. For instance, I can forsee one set of people being happy with strictly puzzles, etc. . . .and another set of people liking maps that makes heavy use of the portal gun in combat/tactics in combination with the gravity gun, etc. (yes, that could be a mod. . .but it doesnt have to be).

But really, none of that matters greatly to me, because I know that no matter whatever anyone else does, I myself WILL follow a convention (and I'll gladly take whatever existing convention comes about). It costs little and may save ME a lot of trouble later, even if I dont see how today. If you've never been burned by not having a standard, then you probably dont understand that kind of thinking. If you have been burned, or had to impose organization/convention on something after its all been done without a standard. . .then you wouldnt even think of NOT doing it, and this conversation would never happen. :)

im not adding pl_ prt_ or omegoshitsaportalmap_ to the start of my file, there's no need to, its a standard portal map.

as for naming conventions for future portal gametypes, if people are too stupid to drop the maps in the maps folder, and look in the bonus maps menu inside the game, they obviously are to stupid to be able to finish the puzzle.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

:sigh:

Locking this until people calm down some.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Think we can play nice now, children?

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

No need to have custom prefixes in maps and if the community wanted to use prefixes, I would make every single map with the prefix "MyStupidGayPrefix_'level name here'_'number here'.bsp

Seriously... even DoD doesn't require these prefixes. People just do it because they are "robots".

GOD! Is it really possible?!

Until now, I didn't think it was possible to argue such a minor subject to this degree. It's very very simple. Those to want to, add a prefix, those who don't want to, don't add the damn prefix!. Honestly, this discussion should have been over by now.

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

It should have NEVER started... but someone wants to force people to use a prefix for contests...

quentin wrote:
It should have NEVER started... but someone wants to force people to use a prefix for contests...

Wait, what? I didn't start this shit, I don't care what people do and don't use.

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next