Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map prefixes

Page 1 of 4Next

Any comments...
[edit]bugger, forgot none![/edit]

Added None as an option. Pretty sure that standard users can edit poll options, too.
^only before a vote has been cast^

i think it doesent need a begin on a name, the game has no diffrent game styles so it doesent need one. maybe if it is a chalange map or somthing...

done with map for contest...
WOOT COMPETITION

im against a naming prefix, it would instill a sense of conformity which I dont like. whilst some embrace naming conformity by putting the word "cake" into every portal map they make, I like to name my maps after what I think describes them best. With a prefix, thats the first thing people are gonna see, 100 maps that start with ptl_ or something.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

People add dod_ to their maps because Valve added dod_ to their maps to show that is was a Day of Defeat map. However, Valve didn't add a prefix to the Portal maps so I don't think we should.

I think it only matters if there are different game modes such as the team fortress maps.

Without a convention it would be really hard to remember the names all of the maps you've downloaded. What would be really nice is a map browser in-game, but a prefix would be the next best thing.

there is a map browser in game

viewtopic.php?t=155

L2P

:P

Your argument sucks, sorry no other way to say it. Valve has released no multiplayer maps for portal because there is no mulitplayer. People that play portal that only play the Valve maps will never ever see the map names. They are named in a manner that helps the developers know exactly what the area is and really are not meant to be seen by the player.

When Valve made Day of Defeat the opposite was true. There was no single player. They chose to use the dod_ prefix to distingush their maps and let people know exactly what they are playing. The map titles are then indicitive about the actual map. dod_bridge is a map with a huge bridge in the middle and the Axis start on one side and the Allies on the other. If i'm trolling a site looking for custom maps and I see just a list of maps it would be easier for me to associate maps with a game thru the prefix that's why they do it.

If you are on a portal map site looking for portal maps, and you notice maps without a stupid prefix, are you really going to be dense enough to download it and launch it in TF2?

Download, extract to portal dir, and see it in the bonus maps

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing.
That we can't agree.

:D

well...

You want to tell me what to name my maps.

I want to name them myself.

Page 1 of 4Next