Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map prefixes

PreviousPage 4 of 4

[quote="msleeper"]Wait, what? I didn't start this shit, I don't care what people do and don't use.[/quote]

no not you.. but I think "youme" responded to your sarcastic post about forcing people to use a prefix for contests.. and he went with it and agreed....

msleeper wrote:
Yeah the whole idea is really awesome, I hope more people start doing it as standard practice. It is going to be a requirement for future contests, too.

msleeper here, is talking about the bonus scripts, which I agreed with, which if everyone uses it means that we dont have to worry about map names.

the only thing your being forced to do is use the bonus map script. and if you really oppose doing that dont enter the contest.

Like I said earlier I don't care what people use. I wanted to find out if there was one overwhelmingly popular prefix, which there isnt, so really, this thread should be over, as it's purpose is served.

I misread the posts then... and dont worry, I'll not enter maps as I wont be making maps anymore. thanks.

It was 11 votes to 6 on having some form of prefix, thats a simple majority at least.

quentin wrote:
I wont be making maps anymore. thanks.

why not!? making maps is huge fun and its so rewarding when people play and tell you its great.

Astro wrote:
It was 11 votes to 6 on having some form of prefix, thats a simple majority at least.

indeed, however there is no agreement on which prefix, so its not really too helpful.

prefix...no prefix...bonus map scripts....no bonus map scripts

All I know is there will always be some person who doesn't use them.

as for what prefix was used in the official maps...I'd say it was "testchmb"...at least for the majority of them.

Telling people to use the bonus map scripts is great and all...but what happens if the map gets separated from the scripts (how...I have no idea)...then it's up to the file name of the map again.

People should be encouraged to use both a proper file name with a portal identifying prefix AND the bonus map scripts. File name should not be ignored because you are not always looking in the bonus maps menu of portal. There's always a possibility of a map getting put in some random directory and forgotten about...then when someone finds it if it doesn't have a prefix they have no friggen clue what game it's for.

What prefix...who cares...as long as it can identify it as a portal map. Personally I'm going with pl_...no particular reason other than it was one I picked out from existing maps.

pl_
pt_
ptl_
por_
portal_

these all say portal to me..."twp_" does not immediately trigger the word "portal" in my mind and is a bit obscure...so I would avoid it. (just my opinion though)

Use whatever prefix you want. I would say that people SHOULD use one and it should absolutely be encouraged along with the bonus map scripts.

PreviousPage 4 of 4