Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Advanced Techniques

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
DiddyKong42 wrote:
Im pretty sure they did it in a test chamber in the singleplayer, the advanced 19 i believe. At the end when you go up the platforms they go down after you go out of the portal then back in.

They do indeed, this was an interesting challenge, although not too tricky (not hard to re-create either) something like this would be good but its not what i had in mind

That was challenge 18. I am 99% sure the way they did it was have a trigger_multiple over the surface of each platform, and a math_counter. Every time the player passes through the trigger, it adds 1 to the math_counter. When the math_counter hits 2, it disables the trigger and lowers the platform. Hence why you are able to go up, and then back down, and it only screws up if you miss one and don't fling properly.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
That was challenge 18. I am 99% sure the way they did it was have a trigger_multiple over the surface of each platform, and a math_counter. Every time the player passes through the trigger, it adds 1 to the math_counter. When the math_counter hits 2, it disables the trigger and lowers the platform. Hence why you are able to go up, and then back down, and it only screws up if you miss one and don't fling properly.

personaly i think they did it a different way, its up for debate. I think:
say you just came out of platform 3, platform 2 stays there, and they have a func_portal_detector on platform 4, when your portal hits platform 4 they remove platform 2.
I can't remember if it is this, it was several days ago that i last did it. this way, unlike msleeper's would mean you never have the portal you just came through closed.

Ah very good point, I didn't think of portal_detector. It would be easy enough to decompile and take a gander at, though.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Ah very good point, I didn't think of portal_detector. It would be easy enough to decompile and take a gander at, though.

func_portal_detector is how you make detachable security cameras two. and whats more is when they detach they leave a decal on the wall without prompting.

my favorite is the flinging of objects. like shooting boxes or balls into baskets to hit a button.

yeah i thought about making a "basketball hoop" puzzle where you have to fling a companion sphere into a bucket or something.

roger federer wrote:
my favorite is the flinging of objects. like shooting boxes or balls into baskets to hit a button.

i'll be sure to include it.

msleeper wrote:
yeah i thought about making a "basketball hoop" puzzle where you have to fling a companion sphere into a bucket or something.

I'd be too busy hugging it to do that

Hmm, I wonder if we can get roller mines working in Portal... ;)

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next