Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Summer Mapping Initiative - Contest Winners

PreviousPage 6 of 7Next
kwp21 pitts wrote:
You guys might have to impose map entry limits next time. I assume this may not be popular idea, but it will give the judges a break.

Yeh but its really difficult to set limits without excluding to many people... and they already removed all maps without proper elevators, proper lighting & playground maps.

.:: [SP] Lost in Testing :: #1 :: #2 :: #3 :: #4 ::.
KenJeKenny!? wrote:
kwp21 pitts wrote:
You guys might have to impose map entry limits next time. I assume this may not be popular idea, but it will give the judges a break.

Yeh but its really difficult to set limits without excluding to many people... and they already removed all maps without proper elevators, proper lighting & playground maps.

True, but what about having Single player maps be judged, in their own category, with one group of judges, and have coop maps be judged, their own category, with a separate group of judges? This could have sped up the judging process by at least two times. This, of course, saying that there were two winners.

First guy tells the second guy, "My head hurts!" The second guy replied, "Stop thinking so much!" Then the first guy says, "I think that what caused my problem in the first place!" The second guy says, "Then stop banging you head against the wall!"

ImageImageVDC User Page

I am curious as to what was the judging criteria when the maps were being evaluated. It appears that SP & co-op maps were rated the same way and stacked ranked all together. thx

I'd like to take a moment to thank each and every person who entered the Summer Mapping Initiative. I was amazed at the amount of sheer talent that exists in the community. In a way I'm sad that there are only a couple prizes, because there was no clear winner for me. Instead, in my view there was an entire subset of maps that met incredible standards and were genuinely a blast to play. These maps were unbelievably close to, if not in line with, the standards set by VALVe's official maps. The rest of the maps also displayed a heck of a lot of potential talent, which makes me look forward to seeing what comes in the future. Finally, I would like to thank many maps in this contest for making me feel that much worse about my own mapping. Simply put, seeing such a great quality level has made me want to become a better mapper.

Now with 100% more inline comments!

I was glad to be a part of the ride. Thanks guys!

See you on the next contest! :D

Congratulations to the winners! Always amazing to see the force of creativity being raised by competitions like this.

Now I'm looking forward even more to a compiled map pack with the best-of submissions!

Argh, how long's it gonna take? I'm dying to know what place I came in!

Congrats to the Winners and a huge thanks to everyone who was a part of the contest. There is so much content now to play and learn from. I just hope that next time round I will be a good enough mapper to submit a map :)

Remember, Science Rhymes With Compliance.
Do You Know What Doesnt Rhyme With Compliance?
NEUROTOXIN.

The announcement got posted up on the official Portal 2 blog. Given the incredibly close scores between Infinifling and Edifice, we're giving an official honorable mention to it.

ebola, MrTwoVideoCards and Omnicoder will be receiving:
- Jinx Portal 2 Gear
- Gels and a Shirt from Think Geek
- Gear from Glitch
- Basically everything under the sun from the Valve store.
- And unreleased merch including a Wheatley Laboratories Glow in the Dark T-shirt and the super cool 70s Portal 2 poster signed by the entire team

Congrats you three, you definitely earned it!

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Also a visit from my hitman, that's what they win.

PreviousPage 6 of 7Next