Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Summer Mapping Initiative - Contest Winners

Page 1 of 7Next

Over the course of the past two and some change weeks, our 13 judges have spent over a collective 140 hours playing 240 of some of the best custom maps this community has seen. As I have said previously, the turn out for this contest has been amazing and I want to thank each and every one of our participants.

But without carrying on too much, let's get down to business. The first and second place Grand Prize winners of the ThinkingWithPortals.com 2011 Summer Mapping Initiative are Patent Pending by ebola with a 4.66 out of 5 (6 votes) and Infinifling by MrTwoVideoCards with a 4.62 out of 5 (8 votes). Congratulations guys!

In third place, by mere fractions of points, is Edifice by Omnicoder with 4.62 out of 5 (8 votes). Fourth place comes as Delta Bunsen by Lobster with 4.58 out of 5 (6 votes), and fifth place in our top 2% is Cubes 'n' Funnels by Will T. with 4.50 out of 5 (6 votes).

The top rated Coop maps overall were Redirecting Redirection by MrTwoVideoCards in 6th place, Fast Bridge by Skotty in 7th place, and Fling Bridge by Kosire in 11th place.

I am sure everyone is dying to see the full results, and we will be posting it up soon once we figure out the best format to present all of the data. Each map was played by a minimum of 2 judges, and each judge submitted their own score, and since I know many of you would want to know every detail of your map's judgement, we are going to need to release all of the information intelligently.

I would like to thank everyone who participated, as this contest would not be immensely successful without your submissions. I would also like to thank Mevious, Farragar, WinstonSmith, and most of all Nacimota for judging an insane amount of maps and spending so much of your free personal time helping with this. And lastly I would like to thank Chet over at Valve for helping coordinate this contest, bringing exposure to our community and helping the Portal 2 mapping scene to blossom.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Wow, congratulations to you guys; 140 hours! Woah. That sounds like the most awesome job in the world :D

Well done to the winners, the runners up and everyone else, and thank you guys for an awesome competition. I personally loved it, and I'm sure everyone else did, too.

'I'm just going to attempt a manual override on this wall...'

Well even though I lost I am sure happy to see such epic maps win! Especially Patent Pending, that map definetely deserves to win, as well as Omni's map. Congrats guys!

jamesf141 wrote:
That sounds like the most awesome job in the world :D

You have no idea how wrong you are. I am so burned out on Portal 2 right now, I need to go outside and swim in the pool or throw a football or something.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Gratz to everyone!

Edit, explain one thing, Omni's and mrtwovideocards' map has the same rating out of 8 votes... that is kinda unfair IMO. Should brought more judges to remove that small disparity.

Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com
Motanum wrote:
Edit, explain one thing, Omni's and mrtwovideocards' map has the same rating out of 8 votes... that is kinda unfair IMO. Should brought more judges to remove that small disparity.

8 people submitted separate votes, so the score is some long decimal. The judging site that we are using only displays the first 2 digits, so they appear to be the same score even though one is higher before display rounding.

msleeper wrote:
Motanum wrote:

8 people submitted separate votes, so the score is some long decimal. The judging site that we are using only displays the first 2 digits, so they appear to be the same score even though one is higher before display rounding.

Fair enough...

Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com

Holy shit.

Currently working on Darksiders 3.

Sweet! ;]

Congratulations everyone!

First guy tells the second guy, "My head hurts!" The second guy replied, "Stop thinking so much!" Then the first guy says, "I think that what caused my problem in the first place!" The second guy says, "Then stop banging you head against the wall!"

ImageImageVDC User Page
Page 1 of 7Next