Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Seven Gates

PreviousPage 8 of 9Next
jonatan wrote:
The thing is that
Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
Enough to ruin your day. :( Apparently Valve did not foresee there being scenarios where there would be issues having it this way.

This is really good to know,thanks for the reply Jonatan.

it took me several peaks at the hints and ideas in this thread to solve this...
i already had all the pieces in my head but couldnt put them together properly :S

i am convinced that this map was not made by a human being.
glados? is that you!?

:notwant:

:1dn:

Brilliant! Just finished part 2, absolutely brutal trick! :thumbup: Big ups to jonatan for making these high level puzzles. DONT LET THE HATERS MAKE YOU STOP MAPPING!!! :) Now for Devil's chamber. I have nightmares about what your coop map must look like! Keep up the good work buddy.

Jonaton - sadly this puzzle is in the "Too Difficult" category.

I realize that one can make maps with extreme complexity. But even the best Chess Grandmaster cannot see more than 7 or 8 moves ahead because the possible combinations increase exponentially.

With 7 gates, a multitude of ways to trip the gates, and thousands of possible cube placements . . . you come up with millions - literally millions of possible combinations.

IMO a great map should be solvable by moderately intelligent people. This one far exceeded that to the point where the vast majority of Testers simply will not solve it.

Quote:
This one far exceeded that to the point where the vast majority of Testers simply will not solve it.

Then I have succeeded because this was my goal. What in my description of this map made you think otherwise? I do not wish to make popular maps with moderate difficulty. I want to make hard maps that none or just a couple of people are able to solve.

My maps: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Jonaton, you once said "If no one solves it, I win" - that encapsulates your goal in map-making.
In this case, when someone did solve it, you replied that you would then change it to "make it more difficult".

You can make these so 1 or 2 or even zero people solve them.
But it seems a great talent is not being fully realized.

If you made at least a few maps that are tricky, difficult, but geared so that approx 25% will solve, that would be more "fun" because the player won't feel so hopeless. If the tester felt like he "could" possibly solve the map given enough time, patience, and effort - his interest and fun would increase dramatically. As it is there is no way 99% will solve this and maybe 98% for a few others I played from your inventory. It's like . . . work on it for a couple hours and then give up. Or go to the Video for numerous clues.

True - there are people that want these exactly as they are - the harder the better.
But it would be nice if at least "some" of your maps gave people a very difficult yet solvable challenge. You know, your first map was a big hit and everyone loved it and most solved it. If the later maps were that type but longer - then although more people would solve them they would still struggle a lot to do so.

I hope you do not stop because there are only a few making the really challenging maps. But I would like to have a chance to solve them too.

ls

lol this map is awesome :D i love it but please make it more fun it wasnt very fun due to alot of repetition

CLICK FOR YOUTUBE VIDEO AND DOWNLOAD LINK - V1.6 Was Released On The 05/05/2012
[spoiler]TWP Download Link or ForgottenCoders Download Link! (Usually Updated Quicker)
s0AEErcYx5A[/spoiler]

Epic. With this one you brought me to my knees. It`s great to have you in community. Definitely hall of fame. How the hell you are able to thought something like that - big,big respect. :thumbup:
Hardest I played so far...

Great work, jonatan. I've independently solved 0 of your tests.

I was proud of myself (quite so) by solving the first half of this one, which interestingly enough, I did by

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
After watching your video, I realize that this is kind of a goofy solution, but I don't see any way for you to remove it.

You monster.

what the f!
Sevengates screenshot for portal2 background ?!
valves like your map :D

portal_sevengates.jpg
PreviousPage 8 of 9Next