Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So... Who would be interested in a "new" Blue Portals?

PreviousPage 5 of 7Next

Looks great so far. I like how you implemented the cube buttons from P2 in there, too. That alone should add some diversity to the chambers. Also, I'm liking the "O" signs used in there, the happy faces where great in the original, but the simplistic design of the "O" actually adds to environment a bit better in my opinion.

The chambers look so inviting, and overall calming. This definitely seems like a good mod to play after a long hard day at work. :D

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

yishbarr wrote:
Anyways, I want to know if this is missing maps or are you almost finished or something.

Most maps so far are right out of Blue Portals 2 with slight edits. Later chambers may be remakes/remastered versions from the original, and the rest will be new.

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:
Looks great so far. I like how you implemented the cube buttons from P2 in there, too. That alone should add some diversity to the chambers. Also, I'm liking the "O" signs used in there, the happy faces where great in the original, but the simplistic design of the "O" actually adds to environment a bit better in my opinion.

The chambers look so inviting, and overall calming. This definitely seems like a good mod to play after a long hard day at work. :D

Thanks Ruby! Remember, the model I used is not the exact model Valve used in the final build of P2. It's a broken model you can find in the game's files. Also, I was thinking about the indicators being that they are kind of low quailty (Pixelization) I was thinking about bringing back the old textures, but I may look into just remaking the indicator stuff when I get to it.

I made a slight change to the maps, I've made a version of the wall textures to be used under the metal tiles. Unlike the original, I want some decay, stains elements in the test chambers. Being it's gonna be a darker feel, I think it fits perfectly. I also got a new coolant texture, but I'll show that in another screenshot. ;)

Other thoughts: I was thinking about stuff I did in BP2 like the vents, Electric Gel and such. Yeah, I can't do the gel, and the vents will be tough, but would you rather see those types of elements see light, or have the old elements return? For example, I was thinking about removing the light beams and replacing it with an edited energy ball that acts like the electric gel from BP2.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.
reepblue wrote:
yishbarr wrote:
Anyways, I want to know if this is missing maps or are you almost finished or something.

Most maps so far are right out of Blue Portals 2 with slight edits. Later chambers may be remakes/remastered versions from the original, and the rest will be new.

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:

Thanks Ruby! Remember, the model I used is not the exact model Valve used in the final build of P2. It's a broken model you can find in the game's files. Also, I was thinking about the indicators being that they are kind of low quailty (Pixelization) I was thinking about bringing back the old textures, but I may look into just remaking the indicator stuff when I get to it.

I made a slight change to the maps, I've made a version of the wall textures to be used under the metal tiles. Unlike the original, I want some decay, stains elements in the test chambers. Being it's gonna be a darker feel, I think it fits perfectly. I also got a new coolant texture, but I'll show that in another screenshot. ;)

Other thoughts: I was thinking about stuff I did in BP2 like the vents, Electric Gel and such. Yeah, I can't do the gel, and the vents will be tough, but would you rather see those types of elements see light, or have the old elements return? For example, I was thinking about removing the light beams and replacing it with an edited energy ball that acts like the electric gel from BP2.

Oh yeah, I remember passing that in the files. Even still, it functions the same way, so it should be cool to see in these chambers. Also, having both the old and the new would be nice to see. Not sure exactly which ones could make it into the NBP from BP2, maybe music cubes? Electric Gel, or something similar, would be cool. Also, just as a personal thing, I did love the purple flashlight cubes. :D Really hoping to see those again.

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

Calling it a night. Also managed to get BP2-like vents to work so they will replace the fans. Anyway, screen time.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

That last pic is amazing Reep :thumbup: Loving the overall mood, the fog, lighting, the water material with the blueish mist, the dust motes around the point_spotlights, even the tideline overlay! :D

reepblue wrote:
Also, I was thinking about the indicators being that they are kind of low quailty (Pixelization) I was thinking about bringing back the old textures, but I may look into just remaking the indicator stuff when I get to it.

I made a slight change to the maps, I've made a version of the wall textures to be used under the metal tiles. Unlike the original, I want some decay, stains elements in the test chambers. Being it's gonna be a darker feel, I think it fits perfectly.

I've gotten similar bleeding effect of one texture over the adjacent one by adding the parameter $reflectivity and bouncing unequal RGB values. In your case, try for example adding the following to your upper dark texture:

$reflectivity "{ 26 17 2 }"

(I haven't tested that example in game)

That should actually make the texture to emit some sort of soft (dark) shadow over the white texture right on its bordering edge.

Anyways, it is already looking great with those subtle stains! :thumbup:

Keep up the great job!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
reepblue wrote:

This is looking really nice, but the layout of the room is kind of boring.

Also, off topic. Will we be seeing the glass panes and cobblestone wall that were in the original BP?

That water looks really good, it might be better if it was a little darker. Right now it looks a bit like repulsion gel!

quaternary wrote:
That water looks really good, it might be better if it was a little darker. Right now it looks a bit like repulsion gel!

Imo it'll look even more like bounce gel if it's darker. I'd say lighter and dirtier.

josepezdj wrote:
That last pic is amazing Reep :thumbup: Loving the overall mood, the fog, lighting, the water material with the blueish mist, the dust motes around the point_spotlights, even the tideline overlay! :D

I've gotten similar bleeding effect of one texture over the adjacent one by adding the parameter $reflectivity and bouncing unequal RGB values. In your case, try for example adding the following to your upper dark texture:

$reflectivity "{ 26 17 2 }"

(I haven't tested that example in game)

That should actually make the texture to emit some sort of soft (dark) shadow over the white texture right on its bordering edge.

Anyways, it is already looking great with those subtle stains! :thumbup:

Keep up the great job!

Since the 2013 branch does not have "spectacular", I'm pretty sure that the $reflectivity keyvalue is strongly tied to env_cubemap in this branch. Plus, it was easier just to edit the texture. But thanks.

Ciirulean wrote:
This is looking really nice, but the layout of the room is kind of boring.

Also, off topic. Will we be seeing the glass panes and cobblestone wall that were in the original BP?

Room layout is straight from BP2, and the puzzle may change to be something more interesting and deserving. I dunno about the glass panels, but I'm not doing the cobblestone because I don't want multiple invalid portal surfaces in the test chambers, and they did not look as good with the new scheme.

And as for the Coolant, I made it more bluer. Making it more dirty is an idea, I'll go back to it again tomorrow.

What I did today for the most part was edit the viewmodel for the portalgun. I still need to make new textures for it but model wise, I deleted the hand in the back, the tube is now solid, and I added the glass holes on the muzzle. I've moved the tube lights to the front as you might assume, but there is a tiny ugly thing that happens when your portals fizzle in the cleanser. I can fix all of this and more with the source code, but I have not gotten any feelings about that so I'm avoiding it for now.

So wait are you actually thinking of using the leaked source code for this mod? Or am I just reading too much into this:

reepblue wrote:
I deleted the hand in the back, the tube is now solid...I can fix all of this and more with the source code, but I have not gotten any feelings about that so I'm avoiding it for now.

Also are you going to add a different hand back under the gun?

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
PreviousPage 5 of 7Next