Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So... Who would be interested in a "new" Blue Portals?

PreviousPage 6 of 7Next
CamBen wrote:
So wait are you actually thinking of using the leaked source code for this mod? Or am I just reading too much into this:

I am, I know a while ago Hunter asked Jeep what would Valve do if they used the leak Portal code for a mod and his response was something like "We could not do anything about it." Basically, I think it will be the community; whether be TWP or ModDB that will take it down due to "Piracy", not Valve themselves. Recall, that Valve took Missing Information 1.4 down, but when 1.5 came out they said "Just keep it a mod, and it's fine by us."

A while ago just for laughs, I took Portal's leaked code from 2007, put it in 2013, fixed a few lines, and it compiled just fine. It's actually more up-to date then the retail game, minus the dinosaur radios. My setup only looks for custom dlls, and the Source SDK 2013 Singleplayer stuff. Other then that, it reads Portal for content, so Portal is still needed to play the mod. Here is some stuff I was playing around with: 1 2 3

For NBP, I would just use it for simple adjustments, minor improvements, and making things like the cubes entities like they are in Portal 2. It's stupid that all the boxes need to be named "box" to work correctly with the fizzlers. Again, it's more of what you want. If you think it's unfair/too fishy, I'll just use stock dlls. If you think it will make it more refreshing, then I will.

CamBen wrote:
Also are you going to add a different hand back under the gun?

I will add the hand if I can make it seem like it's not glued on there. I'm gonna watch both Chell's world models, and hold my Portalgun replica to see how would the hand would fit best. If it works out, then I'll re-add it.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Wow, those edits are sure cool! I wonder if valve would be okay with you using it, since they let missing info slide.
Also.... Do you know if that old source code supports the combine soldiers with working combat (functional shooting with AR2, SMG, etc etc) and/or citizen chatter? Because if so, that would be amazing.

Also that pickup color change would be really awesome to add into NBP if you are going to use the source code leak.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

I do like that decay effect. I noticed that it only seems to be coming off of the black metal textures, which is cool because it leads me to think that it's rust, or something similar. The liquid texture looks good, however like mentioned before it may look a bit better if it where a tad grungier. Possibly slightly transparent, too? Not like, you can see the bottom of the pool, but a slight transparency. Idk, not to sure exactly how the liquid looks IRL, but I digress.

Also, as a question, and I apologize if it's been mentioned before hand, is the standard water going to make a comeback as well, allowing for underwater chambers and such? Or are they going to get cut from the final thing?

Either way, looking good so far. :thumbup:

"...those who would break the rules and laws are reguarded as scum, but those who would abandon even one of their friends, are worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Youtube Channel My Workshop
My Maps/Projects:

[spoiler]Maps:
RBC 1 RBC 2
Blue Walls
Converting Propulsion
One Week Creation
Secondary Fire
Flings Speed Patience
Ongoing Projects:
Alive & Kicking: Chamber 18 Secondary Fire[/spoiler]

Oh no... I didn't realize BP had swimmable water too....
Now my tests for my mod are going to look like I stole reep's ideas; fire cube, ice cube, electrical cube, fan, water, whatnot...
Although I'm thinking of the videos I've seen of BP that my thermal elements should be different enough (like being chilled/heated instead of dropped) and luckily they aren't a major element.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

Today's update:
- Decided to go ahead and use the code base to fix/improve stuff. Fixed the Portalgun issue, added prop_weighted_cube, and prop_button.
- Made new skins for the portalgun. (world and view models).
- Adjusted the Portal colors
- Using a Portal 2 Collab hieght-map for the metal walls. More interesting then before.
- Made a new box dropper prefab.
- Attempted to make the coolant dirtier, but I just made it more detailed. Heh....

(I should stop showing off new maps.)

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:
Also, as a question, and I apologize if it's been mentioned before hand, is the standard water going to make a comeback as well, allowing for underwater chambers and such? Or are they going to get cut from the final thing?

No, looking back on that I think that concept was kind of silly.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

reepblue wrote:
Today's update:
- Decided to go ahead and use the code base to fix/improve stuff. Fixed the Portalgun issue, added prop_weighted_cube, and prop_button.
- Made new skins for the portalgun. (world and view models).
- Adjusted the Portal colors
- Using a Portal 2 Collab hieght-map for the metal walls. More interesting then before.
- Made a new box dropper prefab.
- Attempted to make the coolant dirtier, but I just made it more detailed. Heh....

(I should stop showing off new maps.)

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:

No, looking back on that I think that concept was kind of silly.

I actually thought it was nice even though the puzzles made with it were a bit plain, but that goes for BP in general, so we now have this one instead. I like the idea of the electrified water replacement for green water in smallish areas like the one used in the scrapped logic portals map. Also, this screenshot looks like you're going for a more "logic portals" puzzle. The thing with logic portals is that the chambers were more compact, so it's a bit different.

Why though.

Ciirulean wrote:
Why though.

Very good question. Here's a story.

When I started, I did wanted to keep it for the original Portal as just making a mod for Portal 2 (as in with the sourcemods folder) is very clunky to setup, build cubemaps, etc. The Source 2013 branch is (or at least WAS) modding heaven as it was easy to make and mount VPKs. However, Portal has not been updated since the summer of 2013, and things like the particle editor crashed, and it was mostly outdated compared to the other games that share the same branch. So, being that I had the leak set up for 2013 before, I used that set of DLLs instead of Portals. Then a few days ago, I decided to actually make entities for it which just ended up being Portal 1 versions of Portal 2 entities.

It was a few weeks ago, and Valve released a update for the SDK bases. This change was so big, I needed to update my code base for the branch, and with that, rebuild my mods. However, I noticed that some tools acted strange with my batches as they would run outside the cmd window, then run again in the cmd window. So basically, things like maps, models, and textures would compile twice for each compile program. Yeah, this got real annoying, real fast. I've noticed older versions of the Base (like the MP branch that I did not update) would work as normal. Lucky, before the May SDK Base update, I backed up the binary folder before I updated it.

Last Fall/Winter, I experimented on importing things from Alien Swarm such as beam_spotlights, HDR fog, fog_volume, etc to the 2013. I've did a lot of editing other files, but in the end was a branch sorta similar to the original L4D branch. However, noticing Valve kept updating the base, I decided to use a stock build for Vectronic instead. Since I've found the compatible binary folder for that solution, I was pondering on using that as the base for Blue Portals.

There is a trick you can do with any source game, and if you plan to put it on Greenlight, it's best to start the project like this. If you just make a new folder under the common folder, copy over the binary folder (bin) and the platform folder along with the exe and such, you can make your project run 100% independently from the game you are modding. Not only that, but it's much easier when it comes to file management. This meant that I could use that backed up binary folder, along with my modified 2013 solution!

So I did just that, and then it hit me. "Now the only way to play it would be to have it on Greenlight, but that might signal a flag with Valve being that it will be on Steam." since what I was doing is kind of in the gray area. All my tweaks were again mostly Portal 2 related, I get all the 'updated stuff', and Hammer for 2013 is not that nice to work with with it's broken cursors, and crippled numbers for us AMD GPU users. So I restated the setup with Portal 2 stuff, rebuilt models and textures seeing what crashed the game, and what didn't, implementing my cube model, and I got this:

As you can see, I still wanna keep it Portal 1-esque; only using Portal 2 entities to make life easier. And with this, some ideas like oil will come back, and vents will work how they did in BP2. In the end, it's more updated, easier to work with, and for sure legal.

Sorry for the long story, but that's why I ended up going with Portal 2. I can say though that everything is about 90% exact to it's Portal 1 version.

So you basically managed to get it to work as an independent game on the P2 engine without the annoying things from Portal 2 sourcemods and stuff? Well, that makes things easier for people that don't have P1 out there. Also, P2 stuff like better grip of the cube would be especially useful.

PreviousPage 6 of 7Next