Please or Register to create posts and topics.

So... Who would be interested in a "new" Blue Portals?

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next

I've always been a fan of Blue Portals and I would love to see it return. (Even though some of the trick jumps in the original were a little too hard for me...)

The visual style is really good, and refreshinlgy different from both of the original Portal games. At some point I want to start developing my own map style, and both Blue Portals and Hurricaaane's work have been a very good source of inspiration for this.

I do think it's a good idea to focus more on creative use of puzzle elements instead of trick jumps; it will make the mod more accessible to a broader audience.

RubyCarbuncIe wrote:
As for the chamber locks, I feel doing an elevator has been done to many times, in to many mods. Unless of course you don't use the standard Portal, or even Portal 2, elevators and come up with something completely unique. I liked the idea of the Portal chaining the maps together, however how about instead of it being just an empty room with a Portal in it it's more like a waiting room? With desks, chairs, those posters on the walls, maybe a bed for the character to take a rest between tests, and a few other things. [...]

This is a great idea! Linking the tests with portals has always seemed the most logical thing to do, since they're available already, but there's no reason not to spice up the transition rooms a bit. Makes a nice place for the player to relax a bit between tests.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Maybe you could keep the portal idea, but instead, have the room a bit smaller and have one portal on the floor of the first room and on the ceiling of the next map

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!

Update:

I might amp the fog a bit. Other then that, most things are instances, and the door is now one model instead of three.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Wait, how did you get instances working in portal 1? I never managed to get them to work

Really liking those wall textures.

CamBen wrote:
Wait, how did you get instances working in portal 1? I never managed to get them to work

You need to use HL2/Source SDK 2013's compile tools, set up the InstancePath of the Gameinfo, then use some I/O "hacks" for communication. Also, the instancing is similar to how it is in L4D2 as there is no proxies, and stuff like func_doors will not work as you might expect it to.

Oh, here's a video on Unlisted, What do you think?

http://youtu.be/EBs1dcR0xoU

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

I'm liking it so far. Also, are you going to reskin the player model? (I haven't had much luck getting moddb downloads working when I was trying to download mods, and now that its working I haven't downloaded BP) so I don't know if you've done that or not, or if you're going to.

Are the top of the cube buttons ripped right from portal 2 or are they custom modeled?

CamBen wrote:
I'm liking it so far. Also, are you going to reskin the player model? (I haven't had much luck getting moddb downloads working when I was trying to download mods, and now that its working I haven't downloaded BP) so I don't know if you've done that or not, or if you're going to.

Are the top of the cube buttons ripped right from portal 2 or are they custom modeled?

Thanks, I'm still using the skin from the original BP which she has a darker skin tone, and a blue jumpsuit. The sockets are models from Portal 2, but they were broken. I decompiled it, fixed what texture sheet it uses, and the collision mesh. Valve left one left-over texture texture, although no model reads it in stock Portal 2.

What do I think? I think I want to play it RIGHT NOW :D Lighting, chamber design, colors are all spot on. Gogogo

Transition rooms are looking pretty nice although basic, I like the smaller design

Blue Portals is one of these games that sort of make you feel good while you're playing it... I really like what you've done. I also have this Blue Portals map for over a year now, that I just never released, because I couldn't understand the design until now and I don't know how good the puzzle really is.

Anyways, I want to know if this is missing maps or are you almost finished or something.

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next