Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Science Fair Poster 4 (Spoiler)

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next

ITT: Huge leaps of logic.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I think everyone's missing the point here. I highly doubt Valve has thought so far into Portal that they had all of this planned out since Portal 1's inception. They're writers. It's their jobs to try to make the most sense out of a semi-developed plot. Portal 1 didn't offer much to go off of. 50,000 is a ridiculous and unrealistic number. Just accept it and try to analyze the story for what it's for. We all know that no company could develop a facility that could maintain itself for even 10 years in the 90's. Besides the year Portal 2 take's place has changed over development. When it was announced in Game Informer it stated that it had been over 150 years since Portal 1, not 50,000.

The number I had always heard was in the hundreds, like 300 at most. Anybody who thinks Portal 2 is 50,000 years after Portal 1 is smoking some serious crack-cocaine.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
The number I had always heard was in the hundreds, like 300 at most. Anybody who thinks Portal 2 is 50,000 years after Portal 1 is smoking some serious crack-cocaine.

Reading comprehension ftl

raulness wrote:
When it was announced in Game Informer it stated that it had been over 150 years since Portal 1, not 50,000.

msleeper wrote:
Anybody who thinks Portal 2 is 50,000 years after Portal 1 is smoking some serious crack-cocaine.

Not sure what I failed to comprehend here.

msleeper wrote:
Not sure what I failed to comprehend here.
Player1 wrote:
Keighley, Geoff: "The Final Hours of Portal 2", chapter 8, page 4: "Portal 1 took place somewhere around the year 2010, between the events of Half-Life 1 and 2".

Same source, chapter 8, page 6: "One way to further differentiate Portal and Half-Life was to set the game far into the future --- at least 50,000 years."

Same source, chapter 8, page 6: "...Aperture circa 52,000 AD"

Wow. I wonder if they realize how long 50,000 years really is. Modern man has only been around for about 10,000 or so.

msleeper wrote:
Wow. I wonder if they realize how long 50,000 years really is. Modern man has only been around for about 10,000 or so.

There seems to be some confliction in official statements. I'm just going to assume it's just been a looong time for now.

New tracks every Saturday!
http://www.soundcloud.com/jomonay
"Anything that you do, just be THE best at it" - Kanye West

It's already bad enough that they retconned... Chell, well her appearance. In P1 she looked like a state prisoner sold to Aperture: remember the line "you are not even a good person, good people don't end up here"? There's hoping that Chell from the potato fair was something else.

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

At this point I'm seriously doubting the idea that a field of wheat would stay so neat past 50,000 years in the future. On that note I doubt man (if still even around) would be planting wheat that far into the future.

And even if both those conditions are true, I'm pretty certain whatever poor farmer would have checked out a rusty, dilapidated shack in the middle of his field.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
PreviousPage 4 of 6Next