Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Science Fair Poster 4 (Spoiler)

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next

A friend of mine pointed out that the announcer at the beginning of the game says it's been "999999" days since you went to sleep. Now assuming that's about right, that corresponds to just over 2700 years. It could be more and the system is glitching out. I can't seem to make a case for it being less. Of course, I haven't checked the number of 9's, so it could be only 5 (just over 270 years), I just took his word for it.

Hear the turret, for it is knell. It summons thee to heaven, or to hell.
WinstonSmith wrote:
....I'm pretty certain whatever poor farmer would have checked out a rusty, dilapidated shack in the middle of his field.

Unless it's not actual people doing the farming. Weren't there images depicting that the hard-light bridges were possible due to light they pumped in, and in said images they depict it being pumped in from a field? Maybe it's part of Glados' (ie: Aperture Science) routines to maintain a field? She even says "I went to the surface today" etc.

man i feel like this is so shittily written, HURRAY for being up since 3:30 and working all day in the sun!

do NOT click this

After the Animal King video feature (Planet of the Apes reference), would you be surprised of finding the world dominated by Aperture appliances? :D

the hills are alive... with the sound of music

did any one noticed this at the end of the game??
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5757/newbitmapimagecopycopyc.png
can you imagine this after 10,000 years?
the steel is not entirely eaten by rust and there is not a jungle surround the entrance so by that i say the game ended after portal 1 in ether 3 years or 27 years or between them witch is a good time for the plants to grow in the facility and for Chell's body to exist, not any flesh creature can stay if it wasn't frozen and it's very obvious that Chell wasn't frozen

According to Valve founder Gabe Newell, He said that Portal 2 will probably be their last game "with an isolated single-player experience."
http://gamerant.com/half-life-3-valve-s ... -cj-81132/

obviously valve and every company is looking for money and what is better than Singleplayer is CO-OP
have you noticed the last 3 games valve made is a CO-OP games
Half-Life 3 is going to be a CO-OP game, they are making the game of The Half-Life fans dream

based on that i would say Chell and Gordon will be a coop partners in Half-life 3
because they have the determent to stay alive and to save the world if they want and non of them have spoken a word in any of the main stories they were in :P
Barney and Alyx might not even be considered as a coop partners in Half-Life 3
because as i read somewhere they are animated figures or something, i'm not sure if that is true

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

No, but I can't imagine anyone staying alive for thousands of years in a room with only a refrigerator and a 70'ies style phone either. But I think what we see on screen is sometimes just meant to be a simplification. I think we're supposed to add a little bit of our own imagination and not take everything too literally, especially when it comes to the songs at the end of the games and anything that happens around the credits part. The Portal games walk a very delicate balancece between comedy, seriousness and other things.

Sorry, my english is crappy

Player1 wrote:
msleeper wrote:
Not sure what I failed to comprehend here.
Player1 wrote:
Keighley, Geoff: "The Final Hours of Portal 2", chapter 8, page 4: "Portal 1 took place somewhere around the year 2010, between the events of Half-Life 1 and 2".

Same source, chapter 8, page 6: "One way to further differentiate Portal and Half-Life was to set the game far into the future --- at least 50,000 years."

Same source, chapter 8, page 6: "...Aperture circa 52,000 AD"

Stuff changes during game dev, one day we had an old Soviet carrier belonging to a PMC now it's a Korean boat, last week we had motion blur on the whole screen now we removed it from the central area.

That's just part of the stuff you say to get people off your back: "yeah we'll change it to X, leave me alone I've got work to do." or "Yeah it's 50,000 years in the future leave me alone I've got work to do." :lol:

I'm still confused about who revamped the elevators while GLaDOS was out of commission.

msleeper wrote:
Wow. I wonder if they realize how long 50,000 years really is. Modern man has only been around for about 10,000 or so.

You're wrong. "Modern" man, a la Homo Sapiens, has been around circa at minimum 250,000 years (http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homosapiens.htm), but that's besides the point.

More to the point, I think that we should take the voice prompt at the start (999999) as the minimum.

CroSSGunS wrote:
You're wrong. "Modern" man, a la Homo Sapiens, has been around circa at minimum 250,000 years (http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homosapiens.htm), but that's besides the point.

I think that depends on what definition of "modern human" you rely on:

Wikipedia, on Humans wrote:
Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago

But as you say that's quite besides the point.

CroSSGunS wrote:
More to the point, I think that we should take the voice prompt at the start (999999) as the minimum.

Which is "only" 2700 years or so. Also there's a distinct pause after the fifth digit as far as I recall, and it sounds like it's definitely broken and cut off so there's no telling if the counter has five digits and just started from the top or what the hell's going on.

Adair wrote:
I'm still confused about who revamped the elevators while GLaDOS was out of commission.

I asked this question to, and the answer is: the developers. The change in the elevator rooms and the changes to the original test chambers are retcons, since there was more than a handful of them working on this project this go around.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
PreviousPage 5 of 6Next