Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] One Way Loop

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

But,

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

I didn't really enjoy this map; however, that's not to say that it's a bad map - it's just not the kind of map I like.

Construction wise, this map is built quite well with a consistent level of quality throughout and few unique visual details (some of the lighting, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there were cube maps - this detracted from the final polish.

The thing that really affected my level of enjoyment is quite simple: the map felt like it wanted to kill me. Make a single mistake and you are dead Even in the first puzzle, I was dying before I knew what exactly it was I was supposed to be doing. I eventually just tunneled through the opening area because once I figured out what I needed to do, I was tired of trying.

The turrets were easy enough (done without cubes 'cus I didn't know they were there) but the next little bit was also a bit aggravating to me because I didn't bother to think that you would break the Portal Convention of cubes being destroyed in toxic water.

Once I figured that out, the rest was easy enough, though you did try to kill me one last time with the energy pellet.

I just don't find being killed/dying all that enjoyable - it is far more annoying/frustrating than challenging.

All that said, I can see why some players would enjoy it - this one just wasn't for me.

Thanks for the comments.

In the readme file that comes with the map I describe how the cubemaps weren't showing properly and that you had to build them yourself in the console. I've placed all the env_cubemap entities and tried to build them when I went in-game but they only seem to work once and then they default back to non-reflective surfaces.

For the knowledgeable player it isn't too hard to build the cubemaps yourself.

About the map seeming to want to kill you, I found it as really the only way to increase the difficulty of the map because of me wanting to construct this map as a challenge. Making the player do portal tricks can only go so far.

As for the water I can see your point about the cubes being destroyed in it but in the professional levels I'm not sure that water does actually destroy cubes, the water is probably too deep to tell.

Here is a link to the thread that talks about getting your cube maps to work properly (I personally do what Remmiz posted).

http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/making-cubemaps-and-bonus-map-scripts-work-together-t517.html

As for the water, I suppose you could make a sign or something, or rework that very small section.

most of the puzzles can be bypassed with this jump:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=W2xmRErXyYE

I usually demorec the blind ride of every map i try, if you want it send me a private message.
(I'll stop recording if i die.)

Uh, when I spawn I spawn with no portal gun. Is that intentional?

Walking when you have a portal gun sucks.

Check out my Portal 2 map, Entrapment!
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/community-releases/entrapment-1-1-1-t2323.html

Firstly let me say this map well constructed, and i did like the part with the turrets. However, if there's a problem with "cubemaps" people do not read readme's. that needs to be listed in the download section or something. or find a way to fix it. now. i don't even know what "cubemaps" are lol. and didn't seem to care cuz the map played fine.

****************************************************************************************
**********AND SINCE I HATE SPOILER TAGS STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON"T WANT SPOILERS**********
****************************************************************************************

but. i didn't really like this map. although some sections were fun/well thought. i do like the fact that you had a loop. allowing you to see the end from the very beginning (very valve) but as someone else posted it seemed like this map wanted you to fail, and feeling like you are destine to fail usually turns people off. now i don't mind a challenge, but in most cases the ONLY way to find out "WHAT" to do was to just jump blinding down a hole or into some acid and try to take a "360degree-snap-shot" look around before you died, hoping you saw where/what to do fast enough. even from the very first puzzle. i had to die in acid several times before i could find all the portable walls. or find out wether a "double-fling" or just a regular jump-through-portal was necessary, and then the turrets i was busting my ass disabling them, and just went kamakazi into the chamber (dieing) when i saw the cube hallway (i did not use the cubes to kill the turrets but it atleast gave me a safe place to shoot from; i like to use turrets to kill turrets (eg)) and lastly the cube-stack in water, i had the cubes with me since the very beginning (just felt like bringing them) but didn't think to stack them, i tried about a million different shoot-portal-while-falling attempts before i thought "fug it i'm gunna try to stack these boxes in here" and to my surprise it worked :-p
i'm really not trying to be negative to you, cuz you built this map well, it just (in general) people do not want to have to dive blindly (and then die) just to figure out what to do. atleast i don't. once i figured out where/how to jump this map was very playble.

do NOT click this
Beer-Me wrote:
Uh, when I spawn I spawn with no portal gun. Is that intentional?

I should have mentioned that I too spawned with no portal gun the first time I played - but I got the gun when I reloaded.

infernet89 wrote:
most of the puzzles can be bypassed with this jump:

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=W2xmRErXyYE

Genius.

rellikpd wrote:
**********AND SINCE I HATE SPOILER TAGS STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON"T WANT SPOILERS**********

Spoiler tags are awesome. :(

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

do NOT click this
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next