Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] One Way Loop

Page 1 of 4Next

The map that I've been working on for what seems like forever is finally finished. It consists of 4 linked but distinct puzzle areas.

This map is designed to be challenging and for people who can think laterally. I've tried to make most of the puzzles portal oriented, not movement or jumping oriented.

Can you find the egg I've hidden and figure out what it explains?

Edit: New link:
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/dload.php?action=file&file_id=156

Enjoy ! :D

A couple of things about this map.

The flinging in the first area can be avoided by

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
(or was that your intent?) The flinging is also very frustrating and difficult to get right.

If you die and load a saved game, the AI for the turrets shuts down and they don't shoot you.

Thanks for the quick reply.

In answer to your question about

Spoiler
it is a valid alternate way to solve the first puzzle. There are multiple intended ways of solving this and not everyone knows how to do this trick.

And with the AI failure I have never encountered this before and it sounds quite strange, can you tell me more about it?

I don't know anything about mapping, so I don't know what causes it or how to fix it, but from reading various Portal mapping threads, I gather that it's not all that uncommon of an issue.

The problem is that after dying on a map and reloading from a save (whether it's a manual or auto-save doesn't make a difference as far as I know) the AI on the sentry guns no longer works, so when you encounter them they just sit there and don't shoot at you, as though you weren't even there.

Overall I like this map. Some methods were a bit difficult, but I like how you gave alternatives in case one way was too tough.

For the first area,

Spoiler

For the second area,

Spoiler

The third area,

Spoiler

The final area was a bit too much a game of trial and error though.

Spoiler

Being able to see the end of the map at the very start was a nice touch however. BTW I didn't have any problems with the AI, so I guess it works for some and doesn't work for others.

gepy wrote:"The companion toilet cannot speak, however it can take your crap."Journey - no idea on length = don't know the % done

The file you selected does not exist.

Hmm update link?

Walking when you have a portal gun sucks.

Check out my Portal 2 map, Entrapment!
http://forums.thinking.withportals.com/community-releases/entrapment-1-1-1-t2323.html

I'm glad you liked it Megadude. With the AI problem I don't think it's related directly to my map, possibly it's just an odd problem with Portal.

The link to the map download seems to have mysteriously disappeared along with several other maps. If it doesn't come back I'll re-upload it.

It seems the maps from the past few days have vanished. Must have been from fixing the download problem. Probably best to reupload just in case.

Edit: About the easter egg you've hidden,

Spoiler
:lol:

gepy wrote:"The companion toilet cannot speak, however it can take your crap."Journey - no idea on length = don't know the % done

Yeah that's it. Now you mention it, it does seem a bit lame.

Spoiler

Re-uploading now.

To make that work, you would probably have to

Spoiler

Page 1 of 4Next