Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Accident Prone

PreviousPage 5 of 5
VolumetricSteve wrote:
I'd give a lot to see a video of any proof of bunny hopping at all in portal....the character you play as is so physically limited, I got the feeling that trying a bunny hop actually slows everything down....

Forwards bunny hopping was fixed in the HL2 engine I think. But constantly jumping does allow you to move at an overall higher speed than if you're simply moving without jumping, since there's no sprint button in Portal but jump movement is basically sprint speed.

I think the bunny jump reference you may have stumbled on here was a reference of my video of the initial release version where I could bypass part of the acid room puzzle by simply jumping from the three pistons back to the place with the slanted thingy. It wasn't a bunny hop, just a well timed normal jump (not even a crouch jump). Shmitz changed the positions of the three pistons to rule out that maneuver.

VolumetricSteve wrote:
(I don't know how the mouse-over font changer thing on this forum works, so, if you want to figure this out on your own, don't read this next part)

[ spoiler ] this is how the spoiler tag works (without the spaces of course) [ /spoiler ]

VolumetricSteve wrote:
is there a console in the source engine in which I could write in some noclipping? the challenge of the level is nice and all...but there's only so much failure I can take in a given night :p

There is, but I don't know what it is.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

To open the console you have to open the options menu, go to the keyboard controls tab, and click the advanced settings button to enable the console(I think that's how its labeled, but if not just poke around and you'll find it). Then, when your playing or in a menu, just press the ~ key (next to the 1 key).

to no clip first turn on cheats by typing:
sv_cheats 1
then turn on no clip with:
noclip

VolumetricSteve, another method to get up to that ledge over the goo is to

Spoiler

Thanks to you guys who helped! Now, having seen the rest of it, I can say the level was very well put together, but at the end of the level

Spoiler

It was a fun level though, I actually remember poking fun at Valve when Portal first came out because they lead into every puzzle so much, and really did a lot of the "solving" for the user.....and now in this level, I wish there'd been a little bit more to go on..maybe I'm just slow on the uptake but this was pretty challenging, I thought, in comparison to the regular Portal levels.

I liked the design in this one though, there was clear attention to artistic detail, as well as incredibly sneaky ways to get around doing certain things....

This is no fault of the level designer, but I always have and always will hate the way the acid looks in this game....when I start making levels...i'm turning it into...something else...really..just anything that doesn't look like bloody vomit would be fine by me, and it's not that it's disgusting...it's that the game had an opportunity to make something really bad for the player look really cool...and they totally ignored it, and made it the dullest ....most barfy looking thing they could...I'm thinking something brighter....maybe like the lava from the Descent series if anyone remembers that...but..ugh...what gives....

Back to the level in question, I liked the size of it, I like being able to make long jumps and end up somewhere really high.

Overall, cool level, I would have just done the last part differently because havok doesn't like vector addition through portals too much i guess, so while the player has cognitively solved the puzzle, the physics are just being wonky.

Played this map when it came out and loved it, but replaying it today I found something I never noticed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JJgQx3M_8

I deserve cake. :(

haha, very nice, i highly doubt he expected people to do that :)

Ryanocerous wrote:
Played this map when it came out and loved it, but replaying it today I found something I never noticed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JJgQx3M_8

I deserve cake. :(

:potd:

Awesome, I knew there was a way to fling up there.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

You got to see my beautiful hat, and yet you still want cake? People can be so demanding.... ;P

All in all, a pretty good map. Had a problem jumping over the junk (acid pool) at first, but eventually got over it.

User was warned for this post, do not bump a thread that is 6 months old!

:wink:

How are you supposed to do the big room with the three pillars and the grate where you can shoot a portal to the other room ?

I used portal tunneling to get a portal high up there, but I don't think that's the proper way ?

Sometimes I wish I had never discovered tunneling, it makes some things way too easy.

iirc portal tunneling through a floor portal is the intended way.
It is also possible to complete it without tunneling, if you don't like that trick ;)

PreviousPage 5 of 5