Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[RELEASE] Accident Prone

Page 1 of 5Next

This is my map for the October contest. It has three puzzle areas, but with a slightly different approach. Find out what happened in the previous Chamber 16!

Download here or here.

Extract from your <steamid>/portal/portal directory, and load the map up through the Bonus Maps menu.

Screenshots:
ImageImage
ImageImage

I really liked this. It had a coherent theme and the puzzles were satisfying to complete.

There were some weird stuff though.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

yeah the ball on the chain was very annoying, a very good idea, but it can kill you and bounces around in wierd ways... took me a while to finish that part, think I did it right...

Spoiler
I spent a while just trying to fling to the platform, stopped on the other side... after getting frustrated with the damn ball :P

my advice, is if you plan on using the ball on rope thing more in future maps, begin with a "learn how" chamber for it, like the first chambers of the single player.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

Nice! A ball & chain, eh? Very unique.

Please consider uploading to myaperturelabs.com. :D

Thanks for creating great Portal content!
Nick

Portal Maps and Mods - browse, rate, play
nickworks wrote:
Nice! A ball & chain, eh? Very unique.

Please consider uploading to -snip- :D

Thanks for creating great Portal content!
Nick

You sound like a frickin bot.

Cmon man don't advertise, even if you don't intend to.

Tis a very awesome map though. Review coming soon.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

Not a bot; I'm quite fleshy.

Advertise? I just thought the map should added to the collection at mAL for community review.

Sorries.

Although, something else to keep in mind: TWP and mAL have an alliance, With a big link to TWP on the mAL homepage.

Portal Maps and Mods - browse, rate, play

One thing; I downloaded this 1-2 days before official release, so sometging may have changed since I ran it. . .

Very fun all the way around; it was all extremely inventive. I liked how everything was in the portal puzzle/level theme, and yet you got to step outside the typical portal level for a while.

Loved the piston puzzle; some nice inventive portal use there (at least I had to do something I've never had to do before!) I'd love to compare solutions sometime on this one; I have to wonder if what I did was what we were expected to do. :)

Getting across the chasm. . ..a good flinging puzzle and it made excellent use of stuff "just lying around". I liked how there were all these things present that MIGHT have been part of the solution (grates, etc) and I had to check-em all out. My only possible issue being that the

Spoiler
technique I did use to get my portals seems to almost REQUIRE a slo-mo mod; I tried without it and it resulted in 15-20 minutes of retries with an eventual success that I can only describe as "darn lucky". Maybe my reflexes are just not what they once were. . .or I did this in a non-expected way. :)

On the 3rd puzzle, I finally

Spoiler
and figured out a workable (but hard) fling. I worked with the ball for a while though and could see how it MIGHT be used (I see a spoiler that said they did it that way) but I judged that as simply too random/untrustworthy, because the tethered ball was VERY violent when disturbed. Maybe I was wrong; must go back and see.

My most memorable moments in this map were both excellent:

- Fooling around. . .made one portal for techered ball to fall into. . . then ran all the way back to grate near the 2nd puzzle end, and shooting the second portal down thru the grate into the room below. I stretched that energy line for a good 300 feet through walls and everything! And then noclip down to see the ball trapped in the upper corner of that room, vibrating wildly. I just had to laugh!

Spoiler

Loved the map. Played the WIP of it, and couldn't get past the second chamber. Final release is much much better. Well done.

When I got to the "ball and chain" part, I quite litterally said "...What the *&!% is that?"

After about 3 or 4 minutes of screwing around (and killing myself once), I beat it the same way that Artesia described already.

Looking forward to future maps from you :D

nickworks wrote:
Although, something else to keep in mind: TWP and mAL have an alliance, With a big link to TWP on the mAL homepage.

Doesn't mean you should go posting your link around.

The signature is enough.

Life is like a pipe, it's hard to get through and you're not always guaranteed a happy ending.

For every link he posts, I'll post 2 at his site! :lol:

nickworks is cool in my book.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 5Next