Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Random Map Generator

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next

Oh DAMN! Dude, that was sincerely awesome to solve! >.< WTF? Did you really created this stuff with your thinghie? :D Well, I must admit is pretty much interesting then! Keep on the good job! :thumbup:

Here is the solution:

7Q7quITeI7E

(Give it an hour and a half yet)

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

Solved it and it felt great once you got the hang of what all the buttons did.
Layout is'nt that good, it's hard to orientate when everything looks the same, the buttons is in need of signage and it took me a good while to get the point of everything, especially that

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
As a concept the puzzle is quite impressive, I'm looking forward to see what interesting stuff you can get out with this thing, but you should take some more time to consider layout and playability. Consider recreate it in hammer :)

josepezdj wrote:
Oh DAMN! Dude, that was sincerely awesome to solve! >.< WTF? Did you really created this stuff with your thinghie? :D Well, I must admit is pretty much interesting then! Keep on the good job! :thumbup:

Yes, the logical puzzle was created by my map generator. The final mapping was done by hand. Thank you for uploading your solution to youtube. It's awesome to see you really playing this!

Jepp wrote:
Solved it and it felt great once you got the hang of what all the buttons did.
Layout is'nt that good, it's hard to orientate when everything looks the same, the buttons is in need of signage and it took me a good while to get the point of everything, especially that
Spoiler
As a concept the puzzle is quite impressive, I'm looking forward to see what interesting stuff you can get out with this thing, but you should take some more time to consider layout and playability. Consider recreate it in hammer :)

Yeah, I agree that everything kinda looks the same. That's surely a bad thing, which I should change in future maps. Maybe, before hammer, I should try BEEMod to incorporate more different design elements. This one is just a proof of concept. I also kind of dislike the

Spoiler
I will try to avoid this in future maps.

ciken wrote:
Recently I continued working on this and I created a single player map. The logic is computer generated and I did the mapping by hand. Since I am not a very good mapper, the map is kind of ugly and could have flaws (I hope not), but this is mostly a proof of concept. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it. I would say it is quite hard:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =156399981

Some people can't even create maps like that on their own, and your program can generate one with ease. That is simply remarkable. I'm very interested to see how things work out.

ImageImage

yay! now i can have my 2013 portal 2 mapping contest entry done for me! :p

Spoiler

I wonder if this program could be taught to use custom test elements or mechanics? If it could I'd have my contest entries done as well. :D

Falsi sumus crusto!

I thought of contest entries better than any program can think of. What do you think? (Some heavily usage of a rotating portalgun and new custom elements and physics simulation puzzles that no computer would have thought of). Maps with this program will be disqualified for sure.

FelixGriffin wrote:
I wonder if this program could be taught to use custom test elements or mechanics? If it could I'd have my contest entries done as well. :D

Considering that it had to be 'taught' to use the stock elements in the first place, I reckon it's probable that custom elements could work, albeit with a bit of playing around.

yishbarr wrote:
I thought of contest entries better than any program can think of. What do you think? (Some heavily usage of a rotating portalgun and new custom elements and physics simulation puzzles that no computer would have thought of). Maps with this program will be disqualified for sure.

Yeah, I'd imagine there'd be a disqualification if it was obvious. But given that TWP contests require Hammer-made maps, I think it'd be really hard to prove that the concept was automatically generated. I guess it'd just have to be an honour system, like the ruling on starting work before the contest officially starts.

ImageImage
srs bsnss wrote:
Considering that it had to be 'taught' to use the stock elements in the first place, I reckon it's probable that custom elements could work, albeit with a bit of playing around.

Exaclty, you can "teach" it to use any kind of elements, but some are much harder to implement than others. For example, I don't think that I will implement lasers, because it's too much work to do, but it would be possible as well. The program just takes all the elements that you explained to it and tries to combine them in a manner which results in a complicated puzzle.

A good map is not only a good puzzle. There are lots of other aspects as well. But thinking of an interesting puzzle is sometimes difficult, maybe even for a great mapper. Then the program can be used as an inspiration.

yishbarr wrote:
I thought of contest entries better than any program can think of. What do you think?

Some maps out there are like that, so it is certainly possible.

It really is a good program from my point of view. It's just that people shouldn't always trust computers to do the work for them. That lacks creativity.

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next