Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Random Map Generator

PreviousPage 2 of 7Next
Lpfreaky90 wrote:
There is a huge difference between a map and a properly designed; thought out map.

I agree with you on that point and one might see this program as a proof of concept. Agreed, the maps it generates are a bit ugly, but have you played the example I provided? Keep in mind that this is still the alpha version.

Lpfreaky90 wrote:
The PTI made it a lot easier to make a simple map without much design philosophy or experience, and this is the next step: we make maps for you.

Indeed, without the PTI it would have been harder to put this together.

Lpfreaky90 wrote:
I would hate to see the workshop being flooded with these kind of maps.

I understand your concerns and I ensure you that I have no intention to flood the workshop.

That sounds awesome!

About the fear of this flooding the workshop: here's an idea...what if it generated slightly mangled P2Cs, so you couldn't just start generating them and publishing them? I wonder if it would compile without the exit door, or the primary observation room, for example.

Falsi sumus crusto!

GLaDOS: perfect, i've finally finished self-coding the best automated test-building algorithm yet.
guy who made this: join the club.

ImageImage
===========================
Im blue, a Clean Christian Furry with Autism.

LP is right to be afrade of this, but I still think it is kickass
I really wanted to write a program like this however I know of the limitations that would be present, like the things you mentioned before, and I certainly did not want to tackle those problems.
Any particular reason you chose Java (besides that then anyone could use it).. for performance sake, I love C#

Also, I made a map just for you! Sunset
Click Here to view my Workshop and play my puzzlemaker maps

Who knows, the complete randomness of it might create some interesting concepts!

I doubt it would be good just to randomize and play though.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
FelixGriffin wrote:
That sounds awesome!

About the fear of this flooding the workshop: here's an idea...what if it generated slightly mangled P2Cs, so you couldn't just start generating them and publishing them? I wonder if it would compile without the exit door, or the primary observation room, for example.

I don't quite see the point there. If it generates broken maps, then you cannot play them.

BenVlodgi wrote:
LP is right to be afrade of this, but I still think it is kickass
I really wanted to write a program like this however I know of the limitations that would be present, like the things you mentioned before, and I certainly did not want to tackle those problems.
Any particular reason you chose Java (besides that then anyone could use it).. for performance sake, I love C#

I chose Java, because I am familiar with it and it runs on every machine. Performance is also quite good. And there is no high-end graphics involved, because it just outputs a p2c file.

ChickenMobile wrote:
Who knows, the complete randomness of it might create some interesting concepts!

I doubt it would be good just to randomize and play though.

It is not only random, but it also tries to maximize a function measuring how complicated solving the map is. What it is really good at is the following: You give it map snippets and it combines them into very complicated puzzles. And I think that it is better at this particular job than a human mapper. But it does cannot invent new snippets. Only if the snippets get really small, this would not matter any more.

I will work on a singleplayer map version which does not output a p2c, but a description file how to build the puzzle. A skilled mapper can then implement it. It is harder to do the singleplayer version, because it would most likely either involve cubes or sophisticated flinging and neither is implemented yet.

ciken wrote:
FelixGriffin wrote:
That sounds awesome!

I don't quite see the point there. If it generates broken maps, then you cannot play them.

Not fully broken, but with something preventing instant publishing. For example, a map will compile and run but not publish if the global_pti_ents are gone, or if something conflicts with them.

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
ciken wrote:
FelixGriffin wrote:
That sounds awesome!

Not fully broken, but with something preventing instant publishing. For example, a map will compile and run but not publish if the global_pti_ents are gone, or if something conflicts with them.

I did not know that. This should be quite easy then.

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to break those in the P2C file, unless someone had a mod installed that could add an extra undeletable unplaceable item to conflict with it. I'll see if I can find a way.

Falsi sumus crusto!

Recently I continued working on this and I created a single player map. The logic is computer generated and I did the mapping by hand. Since I am not a very good mapper, the map is kind of ugly and could have flaws (I hope not), but this is mostly a proof of concept. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it. I would say it is quite hard:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =156399981

PreviousPage 2 of 7Next