Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Random Map Generator

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next

I wouldn't make a contest map purely with this program, but I might like to use it to get puzzle ideas (which I'm not good at coming up with). It's like how the PTI allows people to prototype maps quickly without worrying about detailing or visuals, but the resulting maps don't look good at all. A PTI map rebuilt and redetailed in Hammer would be acceptable for the contest.

Falsi sumus crusto!

@Ciken / Chrik: I've been thinking about it for a while, and I've tried to break the map. I managed to throw the wcc through a portal but that was in the intermediate rooms (after getting the wcc) and it didn't allow me to skip anything really. The other walls were too far away for me... So, the truth is that I think this is a very good puzzle very well built-up, and I'd like to know if that puzzle generator takes into account things like the distance from a button to a wall, possible shortcuts due to visible white panels from certain angles or some other complex maneuvers that could lead to unintended solutions :D Also, can this program make puzzles with different height levels, because in essense, this puzzle was truly simple since it's made in one floor only, even though the logic behind was terrific ;)

One last question: can you PLEASE make MORE maps like that, dude!? :notworthy:

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

If you can set up the generator to build and compile a PTI-style map from the puzzle, it could be set up as a sort of "logic map of the day" feature where it automatically generates a new map every 24 hours and uploads it to the same workshop page.

Just be sure it nevr gets access to any neurotoxin, even if it's for science.

Falsi sumus crusto!
josepezdj wrote:
I'd like to know if that puzzle generator takes into account things like the distance from a button to a wall, possible shortcuts due to visible white panels from certain angles or some other complex maneuvers that could lead to unintended solutions :D Also, can this program make puzzles with different height levels, because in essense, this puzzle was truly simple since it's made in one floor only, even though the logic behind was terrific ;)

One last question: can you PLEASE make MORE maps like that, dude!? :notworthy:

(1) The logic is generated, but the mapping itself is done by hand afterwards, so you have to take care that the buttons are positioned away from the walls.
(2) The visibility of the panels however is taken care of by the generator. In general, my problem is that I certainly lack knowledge of some complex maneuvers that could lead to unintended solutions, so I would be glad to get informed about this kind of things.
(3) Different height levels should be possible without much adaption.
(4) Because of all the positive feedback I received here, I will continue working on this thing and from time to time publish a map so that you can see the progress. I will also try to generate the PTI map automatically, as I did with the first multiplayer map, but with more attention to playability and layout. Thank you all for your feedback and comments.

Man this is so interesting, truly :D If you need some other mapper who helps you out improving this program or developing the maps with the puzzles it outputs, I'll do! do not hesitate to tell me :thumbup:

Cheers!

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]

I just thought I'd bump/necro this thread to see where the project is at. Is it abandoned, or still going strong behind the scenes, or what?

ImageImage
srs bsnss wrote:
I just thought I'd bump/necro this thread to see where the project is at. Is it abandoned, or still going strong behind the scenes, or what?

It "works". http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156399981

The prototype kinda works. The two player map is harder than the one player map. The coding got quite complex, which is a drawback when extending it. Moreover, I don't know of a really good application for this.

@ciken: Very interesting program! I'm curious to see how it's going. Also, can the tests generated by it be solved purely by graph-theoretic arguments?

Xtreger wrote:
@ciken: Very interesting program! I'm curious to see how it's going. Also, can the tests generated by it be solved purely by graph-theoretic arguments?

Yes, all tests can be solved by searching for a path in the game state graph.

PreviousPage 4 of 7Next