Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Portal 2 SP / Coop Discussion (SPOILERS ABOUND)

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
Player1 wrote:
A question for those of you that have already played both the single-player and the co-op stories: will playing the co-op story spoil the single-player story? I just want to know if I have to wait for my buddy to finish single-player before we embark on the co-op funs :)

Well, there's one obvious point (GLaDOS is still there). Other than that, I think you're good to go.

New tracks every Saturday!
http://www.soundcloud.com/jomonay
"Anything that you do, just be THE best at it" - Kanye West

Yeah, nothing is spoiled from one campaign to the other. The coop ending is interesting, to say the least.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Yeah. Finished the co-op this evening with my buddy. Good stuff! And really, the stories could be completely seperate. The only real spoiler is the fact that GLaDOS is in fact alive and not dead (if you've only played Portal 1 so far) and that is kinda hard to not get spoiled what with the game loading screen showing Cheel and GLaDOS facing off :)

But now I'm left with... hm... nothing really. Sure I can play the single-player again. Or even the co-op. But all in all Portal 2 has left me with less un-modded gametime than Portal 1. And that's a damn shame :(

On the

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Spoilers, obviously

Spoiler

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.
ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
...snip...

As to number 1,

Spoiler

hanging_rope wrote:
ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
...snip...

As to number 1,

Spoiler

Spoiler

Trivia: this is the very second account I registered with the nickname ASBusinessMagnet, after my YouTube channel.

Sooo, iirc from portal GLaDOS stands for "generic lifeform and disk operating system" but

Spoiler

Jomonay wrote:
msleeper wrote:
Yeah I am truely shocked at how nice Source actually looks.

Although, I did notice all the load times. But they did go pretty fast. On the subject, Jeep Barnett was recently interviewed, and he stated they were mostly working on optimising the engine to work faster with more complaex shapes and calculations.They did use some sneaky bits though; at the beginning when your new relaxation chamber is being destroyed, you're not actually there, you're in a sepearate room with the same basic shapes, so you don't interfere with the physics and stuff.

I wasn't even playing it on full. Christ, can't wait to see what Episode 3 looks like :)

I would love it if you know where that interview was. I was avoiding pre-release P2 articles/interviews and want to go back and read them.

I think you misunderstood what they meant by being in a 'fake' room in the opening destruction sequence. How that usually works is that you ARE in the room with all the crazy cinematic physics, but non of those physics animations (they are precompiled) have collisions. The "fake" room your are "in" refers to a set of clip brushes that overlaps the modeled, falling apart, room. It is "hidden," as they say, in another part of the map only in that the clipping brushes are somewhere else in the map so that it is easier for the designers to look at inside Hammer, but when they spawned (used) the game moves them over. That's how it's done normally, though it's possible they did it a bit different for that sequence since the container is moving and moving clipping brushes can be glitchy.

I do my science from scratch.
Mr. Happy wrote:
Sooo, iirc from portal GLaDOS stands for "generic lifeform and disk operating system" but
Spoiler

She was always genetic lifeform and disk operating system as far as I remember.

Mr. Happy wrote:
I think you misunderstood what they meant by being in a 'fake' room...

I think you are misunderstood tbh. I can't say for certain of course (and nobody will until we decompile it) but as for the feel in the character controls it does not feel like you're standing on a moving platform. Apart from scripted physics pushes that happens at set points through the ride you're controlling as if you were in fact in a (fairly) clean and static room. If all the physics movements of the container would actually get applied to the character controls you would be in for a much more bumpy ride imo.

EDIT: In fact in the commentary node he specifically states that they simply reparent the camera view to the container to get the illusion of your position.

Well there wouldn't be any reason to parent the clip brushes to the container animation, just have them on a straight path_track that doesn't bump around but roughly matches the container.

But ya, thinking about it again, maybe you are right, they could be using a seperate camera entity. Honestly that commentary node confused me a bit since it's so technical about the animation and then just glazes over the in-game setup. I figured when they said "player camera" they just meant player since it was written from an animator perspective.

I do my science from scratch.

A lot of these questions are answered in the commentary. Both the "fake room" during the intro, as well as the stuff about the end of the game are all discussed there.

That said, regarding the ending:

looking at you, ASBusinessMagnet

Spoiler

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next