Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Perpetual Testing Initiative DLC - Puzzle Creator, Workshop

PreviousPage 5 of 6Next
hemotem wrote:
I also see this tool as a first stepping stone towards getting people to spend cash for say a different theme eg. Behind the Scenes, Reconstructing or adding custom content made by players like in TF2.

I personally would pay to have say a sendificator in a new map or even custom cubes seen in different mods.
Edit: Of course the person who made the item would get a cut of the profits =)

Screw paying for expansion packs, if there is any way to edit the parts selection, people will be doing it themselves!
For one thing, I am definitely going to make sendificator parts for this editor, if that's at all possible.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
hemotem wrote:
I also see this tool as a first stepping stone towards getting people to spend cash for say a different theme eg. Behind the Scenes, Reconstructing or adding custom content made by players like in TF2.

I personally would pay to have say a sendificator in a new map or even custom cubes seen in different mods.

Screw paying for expansion packs, if there is any way to edit the parts selection, people will be doing it themselves!
For one thing, I am definitely going to make sendificator parts for this editor, if that's at all possible.

Currently, every base testing element is coded into the game, and it uses a script to organizes it.
You can make slight changes to placement of objects to the editor.

spongylover123 wrote:
HMW wrote:
hemotem wrote:

Currently, every base testing element is coded into the game, and it uses a script to organizes it.
You can make slight changes to placement of objects to the editor.

Roughly it works like this:
1) You make a map in the easy map maker
2) The game creates a puzzle (p2c) file.
This p2c file numbers every 128x128x128 block and tells what is where. (so say laser catcher on face 3 of block 24)
4) The game compiles the vmf to a bsp, yay! You can play!
3) The game translates the p2c to a vmf file. (this is the part where all the instances come in)

I've been spending a good portion of my morning today watching videos over at ValveTime on Youtube. I'm really excited to get going with the puzzle creator as I'm a Mac user and have a bunch of puzzle ideas swirling around in my head and drawn out on paper.

I do have a question for anyone that was part of the beta program. In every example I've seen so far, the lighting in the puzzle creator looks inadequate. Can anyone confirm?

The lighting is pretty ok, but you need to mess around with it yourself. See what's good for you, don't be afraid of adding lots of lights. Just tweak this until it looks good for you.

I cant wait for this :D I wondered when it was coming out and now I see, TOMORO! XD

Could you make single rooms and import them in to Hammer and somehow put em all together?

I really would like to start making my own P2 maps with Hammer. I doubt I would make very hard ones but I would certainly make fun ones. This DLC allows me to jump in with quick ideas and what looks to be a very easy interface.

I made this : Ring Finger
AnaLoGMunKy wrote:
I cant wait for this :D I wondered when it was coming out and now I see, TOMORO! XD

Could you make single rooms and import them in to Hammer and somehow put em all together?

I really would like to start making my own P2 maps with Hammer. I doubt I would make very hard ones but I would certainly make fun ones. This DLC allows me to jump in with quick ideas and what looks to be a very easy interface.

The maps you create with the mapmaker can be exported to hammer. However, this does not work the other way around.

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Sure that works. I didn't plan on going overboard with it anyways. More or less just generally making puzzles that adhered to some theme in terms of gameplay, and making enough puzzles that built that theme up somewhat. Going to iterate on the whole infifling thing more. Originally when we planned it we were going to have hub world, and essentially each of our worlds would contain a unique theme like in the coop. Though there was no limitation to others making puzzles for other themes.

Hit me up on Steam or IRC some day and let's hash things out.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

hi, I have a question too.
how do I put respawn points for those who died?
I don't want people to start from the beginning after they die. because I made it so that people would die a lot.

Flame Alchemist wrote:
hi, I have a question too.
how do I put respawn points for those who died?
I don't want people to start from the beginning after they die. because I made it so that people would die a lot.

Simple answer: You can't
I'm pretty sure they'll and checkpoints in later though :)

Never use Logic to solve a puzzle, he's an idiot...
PreviousPage 5 of 6Next