Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Map Editor, TF2 Halloween, and Looking For Staff

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next
MasterLagger wrote:
HMW wrote:
That's a good point; there will certainly be lots of mappers who will not look beyond the simple editor.

Hammer isn't simple? Compared to other stuff I've seen, I personally think Hammer is pretty simple (at least when it's not buggy).

Relative to Hammer it is/most likely will be.

On that note, here's a short list of things I expect will be handled by the editor as opposed to manually designed:
--Soundscapes
--Any actor entity work (actually, I don't know if they'll have dialogue in there, it seems like they'd stray from having designers play rehashed sound bytes)
--Ah...

Shoot. Thought I had more than that. I'll probably think of more later.

Now with 100% more inline comments!
WinstonSmith wrote:
On that note, here's a short list of things I expect will be handled by the editor as opposed to manually designed:
--Soundscapes
--Any actor entity work (actually, I don't know if they'll have dialogue in there, it seems like they'd stray from having designers play rehashed sound bytes)
--Ah...

When you mentioned dialog, I couldn't help but think about GLaDOS insulting the player while making a mistake in the map editor.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
--Soundscapes
--Ah...

When you mentioned dialog, I couldn't help but think about GLaDOS insulting the player while making a mistake in the map editor.

Yeah, its a lot better to make your first map and release it and get feedback here. (Although we may insult you.) A engine editor can't give you feedback on how to make your map more fun.

:A Little Higher: :Tornate: :Blue Portals: :Vectronic: :Youtube: :Twitter: : ModDB: :Old Sig:

The more you give, the less appreciated it will be received.

Actually, I was referring to the idea Valve had to have GLaDOS talking to the player in the new map editor.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
HMW wrote:
That's a good point; there will certainly be lots of mappers who will not look beyond the simple editor.

Hammer isn't simple? Compared to other stuff I've seen, I personally think Hammer is pretty simple (at least when it's not buggy).

Well when you're pushing the maps to their limits, yes I'm talking to you HMW, then the editor can get pretty hectic. This doesn't look like it'll be able to support the amazing community made maps that actually think OUTSIDE the box. HMW is personally my mapping hero, because all of the new puzzle elements were refreshing, AND worked well. Not to mention the maps are beautiful AND fun. The new editor is going to get a LOT of bad maps when it launches, I don't doubt that a bit.

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

Hopefully the new map editor saves files as .bsp files. That way, the basic design of the map can be made and add extra special bits using Hammer.
I could only see myself using the new map editor just for the basic design of a map (shape, buttons, doors, etc).

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
MasterLagger wrote:
Hopefully the new map editor saves files as .bsp files. That way, the basic design of the map can be made and add extra special bits using Hammer.
I could only see myself using the new map editor just for the basic design of a map (shape, buttons, doors, etc).

I believe you mean vmf.

Portal 1.5 http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-15

Oh, I thought .bsp could also be read by Hammer, not just .vmf files.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"

No, it cant, but there are various programs that will decompile .bsp to give .vmf

I think in terms of boolean variables. Generally, it makes things easier.
Spam Nugget wrote:
No, it cant, but there are various programs that will decompile .bsp to give .vmf

There are, but they don't work 100% of the time, and there are a few annoying things about them (func_instances become part of the .vmf once decompiled) and the results will depend on which decompiler you use. I have a feeling, however, that the compiled .bsp will end up in the portal 2/portal2/maps folder or somewhere else accessible. From there it could be decompiled.
My question is, will they handle lighting? If they do, they'll have to figure out a way to speed up vrad. Or maybe they'll all be fullbright maps.

Released Maps
[spoiler]WOM Test 1
Laser Cube Quest
Mho' Power - Community Spotlight!
Four Corners[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 4 of 6Next