Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Map Editor, TF2 Halloween, and Looking For Staff

PreviousPage 3 of 6Next

The map editor would probably be inside a test chamber where u can just pull the walls in our out, add some puzzle elements, I'm not expecting much from this through

Good for rapid prototyping

I will not use the simple editor, because you can just create such better maps with Hammer. But the map distributing thing will lead to a very big mapping and playing community, much bigger than it is at the moment. I'm looking forward to that.

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information

I'm also interested in becoming a community contributor.
I really like to help people improve their maps and mapping skills. I am very familiar with website management, got html, javascript and php experience in case that's interesting. (though my personal website is !@#$ at the moment, I can pm some other websites I've build though.)

~Lp

For some people this will be a cool way to conceptualize their own puzzles and it'll be amuzing to see what puzzles creative people can make without needing to also learn the very balistic and cerebral way you work with hammer. So creative ppl can use this tool to be creative without too much circunvention.

For others this will be a cool prefab generator to start from in hammer maybe (that is if you have access to the vmf's that it creates.

Then I'm trying to think further and want to imagine what it creates.

- buttons, catapults, doors, funnels etc.. all with only the relevant inputs and outputs that can be programmed
- simple walls that can maybe contain a set of certain motifs that will be correctly optimized and texturized.
- goop or abyss elements that can be fitted inside the room to have slime or a bottomless hole a user can fall into.
- prefab bts backscenes that will have 32x128 256x256 512x256 units versions or maybe animated panels versions so a user can enrich their room with some detail.
- prefab lights you can slap on the walls wherever you want and it will auto-cut the brushes around it to auto embed themself and prevent leaks.
- prefab elevators attachable to each map.
- global entities and transitions ents would be included in the form of map properties that let you choose which model of fog, tones and post processing fx that you want just like with hammer. Also which map the arrival elevator comes from and which one the departure goes to, which bik movie to play etc...

Then for advanced users it would be cool to have ambient_generics, env_fire, push trigger enabled vac tubes and mountable security doors for dummies.

It would be verycool if some of these things would happen procedurally when the player stretches his wall out of the floor to form their room.

I share the same concerns as many of the people have already pointed out. This will be so easy to troll and probably won't be as powerful as Hammer for map editing. However, the ease of access that this is sure to provide will definitely help bring mapping into a greater light and hopefully help people transition into Hammer for map making. As for the bad maps, if a proper ranking system is instituted, perhaps something along the lines of Happy Wheels, then the top maps will be played more because of their visibility and will get greater attention.

I would be interested in becoming staff though, although I am not very active yet on these forums, I am active in the community as a host of ASEMBLE (http://asemble.thepodkast.com) a Portal 2 Podcast. If you are interested in having me on board send me a PM and I will give you may E-mail so that we can communicate more easily. Of course you could always just contact me on the ASEMBLE email; asemble@podka.st. Hope to hear from you soon.

This has been another post by Zbot, the host of the Portal 2 Podkast ASEMBLE.
To hear more more Zbot's rants, raves and comments about Portal 2 Check out ASEMBLE at http://asemble.thepodkast.com.

I hope you can export the map editor levels to an .vmf file, to edit custom features into hammer

Quote:
For me, this in-game map editor is a good opportunity for beginners in mapping.

Another thing not being pointed out yet might be, that for beginners this editor could mean a deadend. What I'm trying to say is, that people would be interested in learning about Hammer, but simply stop to care for the more complex map-editor.

Just like "Bite what you can chew", not even trying what they could do and learn with Hammer.

(My first post here! Yay!)

That's a good point; there will certainly be lots of mappers who will not look beyond the simple editor.
The question I would ask is: would these people have tried Hammer if the simple editor didn't exist? Some might have done that, others might not have thought about making a map ever.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
That's a good point; there will certainly be lots of mappers who will not look beyond the simple editor.

Hammer isn't simple? Compared to other stuff I've seen, I personally think Hammer is pretty simple (at least when it's not buggy).

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 3 of 6Next