Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New Map Editor, TF2 Halloween, and Looking For Staff

PreviousPage 6 of 6

Hey guys, new here, got questions, and just a few thoughts.

First off, I've been looking and looking, and can't seem to find an answer on if this map editor will be PC only (which then makes me wonder what's the point if Hammer exists, besides making it easy on newbs to map making?), or if it'll actually come to consoles. I have the PS3 version, and despite the free steam copy my PC sucks, so I'd rather edit and then have community sharing on consoles. If anyone has a clue, it'd be great to know.

A couple mentions of bad map making happening as a result of this too - ala LBP. I think a huge problem for LBP was the trophies that required making levels and having them 'hearted' - it resulted in a lot of people uploading total crap maps just to earn those, and I'm hoping that without those trophies we'll see less of an issue here with that. Trophies suck for this reason, there's always people out there more obsessed with them than actually playing the game, or in this case, making worth while levels.

The thought has also occurred that by the time this editor releases Portal 2 will almost be a year old too. By that time the majority of people still playing will be those who are actually interested in new, good, and possibly difficult puzzles. My hope is that most people who would have made crappy maps will have lost all interest by now.

My other hope has to do with a mentioned rating system - I'd like to see more than one way to rate, and Valve seems like the type of dev smart enough to think about this. A map could have high quality and creativity without being difficult, and vice versa, and it would make sense to rate it on each of these. I agree with an earlier poster that it would suck to see maps down rated for being hard - being difficult is an ideal scenario for me, it's the whole reason I love Portal, I found it so different from any other puzzle game that it was difficult to think about it correctly at first. Now that I've adjusted there's little to no challenge on the console, and the Peer Review DLC wasn't any more difficult that the original maps, which I found rather disappointing. Free content was great and all, but I'm done with the hand holding, so I have high hopes for this new editor and map distribution system making way to the PS3.

Maybe I'll get my computer upgraded a bit and come back to join the community in a more relevant way, but until then I'll just hope some of your great work makes it my way via steam on PS3.

Well, from what I've heard, the new map editor will be available for the console with some of TWP's best maps included with it in the next DLC.
I heard about crap map spamming from a friend of mine who told me something similar about achievements being given by making a map. Unfortunately, lots of people posted a lot of crap maps to earn achievements.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
MasterLagger wrote:
Well, from what I've heard, the new map editor will be available for the console with some of TWP's best maps included with it in the next DLC.
I heard about crap map spamming from a friend of mine who told me something similar about achievements being given by making a map. Unfortunately, lots of people posted a lot of crap maps to earn achievements.

Valve would be plain stupid if they'd grant achivements for making and releasing a map.

PreviousPage 6 of 6