Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Mapping competition, 6 days left!

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

Now, would that screenshot decompiler work on Portal 2's concept art? Or a photo I took of a building?

Falsi sumus crusto!
FelixGriffin wrote:
Now, would that screenshot decompiler work on Portal 2's concept art? Or a photo I took of a building?

It won't work on a building because it's obviously missing assets. If the concept art is similar to stuff in portal 2 it shouldn't be a problem. Beware though; it cannot predict the stuff that's not in the screenshot!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

I doubt I'll be in time for the contest but my brother thinks he can fix the pc soon. We just need to buy a new power-thingy (don't know the enlish term) and hope that everything else is fine. I think the hard drive is ok though, so no need to decompile screenshots.

Speaking of which, you guys take that so seriously that it makes me think one of you should actually make an image decompiler. No matter how impossible. Not sure how logic would be detected, tho... :P

PS: If I do get my pc back up on - say - sunday morning, I think I would be able to get my map out, May not be perfect but the largest tasks are done anyway. Bummer that I have internet. I feel so close to actually mapping, but no hammer on this laptop. :cry: And no strong enough laptop.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maps in Development:
[spoiler]- Penrose 04 (on hold)[/spoiler]

A surge protector? Good thinking.

And I'll start working on that decompiler! :D

Falsi sumus crusto!
FourthReaper wrote:
We just need to buy a new power-thingy (don't know the enlish term) and hope that everything else is fine.

You mean a power supply? If that's what died, installing a new one is very easy and your brother should have your system up and running in no time once he buys the new part. It takes less than 10 minutes to install.

Hope everything works out. I was looking forward to your map, too!

Picture that. In your dreams.
Maps:
SP MonoPortal | Lesson 0
WIP: LaserLock Preview Images

Hmmmm, nope, not entering for sure. Turns out it wasn't just the power supply component, the motherboard and processor got fried, too. I won't be able to map for a while, we have to get a new pc... Shame, too, as my holliday is coming to an end fairly soon.Worst of all is that I also won't be able to play any of the other submissions for the contest. I was looking forward to some of them. :?

Ah, well, good luck to all of you, anyway. May the best map win! :thumbup:

Maps in Development:
DaMaGepy wrote:
This is why I usually store my most important things online and on pendrive too (vmfs, not-saved pics, mails, programming, etc...)

EVERYBODY DO THIS. PLEASE.

Your hard drive is going to fail at some point. It's a mechanical precision device subject to wear and tear, and it won't last forever.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
DaMaGepy wrote:
This is why I usually store my most important things online and on pendrive too (vmfs, not-saved pics, mails, programming, etc...)

EVERYBODY DO THIS. PLEASE.

Your hard drive is going to fail at some point. It's a mechanical precision device subject to wear and tear, and it won't last forever.

Luckily my hard drive turned out to be recoverable, so we're reforging it into a 1 TB external hard drive with all our stuff intact. Apparently it isn't at all subject to wear and tear, and I assume it will last forever. :P

Good call though. I usually back up stuff on another external hard drive, I just didn't do that recently...

Maps in Development:

Trust in the cloud.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next