Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Idea: Portal Multiplayer

PreviousPage 4 of 10Next

Splitting up the portal guns would remove all flinging and tunneling puzzles, and require that when one player understands the solution to a puzzle, he would have to put it in to words to explain it to his "companion", even if he understands it intuitively.

Doesn't sound like much fun at all to me.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Maybe a sandbox MP would be more fun, like GMod.

"Duct Tape is the answer."

what would it add though? gmod already has portals (doesnt it?) and everythign else form source....

Well it sure would be the kind of gameplay that only fits when you play with a friend. You sure can't expect real coop from a random guy you meet on the internet for a quick play.

I put a little more thinking into this : the conditions for this to be fun are too numerous.
Can riddle-based games get multiplayer? On second thought, I hardly believe it.
"Portal multiplayer" is kinda like "monkey island multiplayer", is that really fun?

1) you need a partner that perfectly wants to coop with you. Aka a real life friend.
2) you need that none of the players actually knows the solution to the test
3) multiplayers means no saves. Can suck hard for hard flings.

In fact, I think the only good multiplayer for portal is the same than monkey island : sitting with friends in front of the PC and think together to find the solution!

Thanks to Portal, someone's birthday is now the most feared day in the year...
NO! THE CAKE! NOOOOOOOO !

I always thought a co op portal would be really cool. I really hope someone finds a way to do it.

It'd be cool to just have 2 people each with a full portal gun but I just now thought of another idea.

What if theres two of you and you each have half the gun? One person can shoot blue portals, the other can shoot orange ones. Using tactics like standing on each other to reach high ground, one person could get up somewhere and place a portal for his buddy to get up with or possibly once up there, place a portal somewhere the other guy can't aim from his level, the second guy place one on the ground and the higher guy jump in for a fling.

It'd be so crazy but as mentioned, you'd have to do it with a good friend who isn't an idiot XD

Warchamp, that's what we've been talking about for the last half page.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
Hober wrote:
Warchamp, that's what we've been talking about for the last half page.

My bad then, I read the first page but only really skimmed the second. Looking over again, I see the separate portal gun idea was mentioned multiple times XD

Owned by tldr

Imho, I think that dm with the portal gun added would be insane! If you have ever played HL2dmpro with the gauss gun, thats damn fast but a portal gun would be like an instant gauss. I couldnt imagine how frantic dm would be if it was included. The mapping side could be achieved easily but I'm not much of a modder so I dont know how tough it would be to include a portal gun while multiple people are playing.

I THInk it would have to be or at least consider as a type of gameplay for multiplayer maps- Having all the Portal people on one team and then have another team that have weapons hunting down the people with the portalgun and such requireing that the team with PORtal guns must survive the hunt for a certain time period after which they can switch teams or something.

That would be intreasting because I see that with having one map with like 32 players fighting each other and each player having there own portal gun would become an endless game of chasing the other peoson(while that could be fun) which has to ultimate goal.

PreviousPage 4 of 10Next