Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Idea: Portal Multiplayer

PreviousPage 10 of 10

EDIT: Unlocked

I really like the idea of "Capture the Cube." I'm picturing the two bases having a giant maze seperating them, such that each team has to use portals and teamwork to get to the enemy base. I don't really think you'd even need to have a seperate "fighter" class, because each team could have turrets defending their base, and their side of the maze. But maybe everybody gets one weak pistol that they can switch the portal gun out with so that you can actually do something about enemies near your base? It'd have to be some kind of special gun that doesn't affect turrets, so that it doesn't become too cheap. What do you guys think?

Click here for Portal Multiplayer

yeah but seriously the idea is ludicrous, this should be locked.

all kidding aside, i do think the idea is retarded, but atleast there is some good discussion here (i guess)

do NOT click this
rellikpd wrote:

Haha. But I don't think you're giving the idea enough credit. I mean we probably would have thought the same thing before Valve made singleplayer Portal, but they managed to pull it off.

Fusion wrote:
I mean we probably would have thought the same thing before Valve made singleplayer Portal, but they managed to pull it off.
Me, Three Pages Ago wrote:
Quote:
[Portal Project Lead Kim] Swift also stated that the team creating the Portal sequel are currently deciding upon the design they should implement and that a multiplayer Portal "from a technology standpoint is possible", though Swift had previously stated they tried a Portal multiplayer variant, but admitted that "Honestly, it's less fun than you'd think."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(video_game)

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster
rellikpd wrote:
Click here for a bad joke

yeah but seriously the idea is ludicrous, this should be locked.

all kidding aside, i do think the idea is stupid, but at least there is some good discussion here (i guess)

:gtfo:

Multiplayer Portal is a valid and feasible idea. In fact, on another online game I play where players make their own levels, there is a very popular area of making Portal-style levels. Since the entire game is multiplayer, and every player has a portal gun, it's already been proven that a multiplayer Portal is possible, even if all the multiplayer part is is just expert players helping n00bs. Not to mention, having multiple players being able to each make their own portal set is like modifying portal_linkage_id, but technically not a hack or cheat. (But in [Name of game here], the portals look like fail because the engine doesn't have the camera-view thing that makes Source-engine portals so 1337.)

The Vital Apparatus Vent will deliver a Weighted Companion Cake in Three. Two. One.
*fifty cakes fall out*
Time out for a second. That wasn't supposed to happen.
WackoMcGoose wrote:
:blah: n00bs like myself :blah:

I have to agree with Rellik.

Rellik - :gtfo2:

Wacko - :gtfo:

Topic - :notwant:

Proceed.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

In theory all we need for a functioning multiplayer game is team score entities and working multiplayer.

Then mappers can use triggers and such to change the scores and decide their own game type.

Be advised that any noticable taste of blood isn't part of any test protocol. But is an unintended side effect of the Hand-Held-High-Energy-Pellet.
Bulska wrote:
In theory all we need for a functioning multiplayer game is ... working multiplayer.

yep.

do NOT click this
PreviousPage 10 of 10