Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I WANT YOUR MAPS

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:
I am trying to give you constructive support. I think that if you want the really top-tier mappers to design puzzles for your game, you're going to have to pony up more than $20 for a map.

Look at it this way. Most of the better quality maps here have, at minimum, 100 hours put into them. Building, detailing, lighting, and an amazing amount of testing. So if someone puts 100 hours into making a map, and you want to give them $20 for it, you are basically paying them $0.20/hr for their work.

I can't think of anyone here, especially anyone with a map in the "Spotlight" category, who would be happy working for $1.60 a day.

You misunderstood me. I say about $10-20 per map for simple single map drawings. For example lets look on Portal 1 single player or first half of Portal 2 maps (before antigravity beam), it is really easy to make such maps but i need variety. IMPORTANT Also you can publish your mappack and split the income from selling it through in-app in gamestore.

I'm also interested, send me a PM with details about the type of maps you need. But note that I mostly do new test elements, not puzzles with original ones.

Falsi sumus crusto!
west131087 wrote:
You misunderstood me. I say about $10-20 per map for simple single map drawings. For example lets look on Portal 1 single player or first half of Portal 2 maps (before antigravity beam), it is really easy to make such maps but i need variety. IMPORTANT Also you can publish your mappack and split the income from selling it through in-app in gamestore.

I think you make a small mistake here; a simple drawing isn't always gonna do it, specially on a device like a phone the design should be simple and your goal should always be in sight. To be honest I'd say a puzzle on a phone shouldn't take longer than 3-4 minutes to solve and should never rely on fast actions. Since you've already released your product you might have had some feedback on your maps already.

My point is; to make an easy chamber you need an experienced mapper. A person that understands how people play portal, a person who understands what tricks can be used to guide the player without giving the solution away and make a nice puzzle, the way items can interact with each other etc. To be honest, the level I saw on the phone didn't look like a level I'd enjoy, but I could be wrong. I'll have a playthrough and give me my thoughts about the puzzles and the game itself after I'm done with it.

It's pretty incredibly insulting to tell people that their work is "easy".

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:

@npc_msleeper_boss Sorry if you think i told something wrong, but I can't understand why this topic is making you hurt so much

:shrug:

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
west131087 wrote:
npc_msleeper_boss wrote:

@npc_msleeper_boss Sorry if you think i told something wrong, but I can't understand why this topic is making you hurt so much

I suppose it's because level design is a lot harder than people think and there's a lot more to it than "just making a level". Take for example a completely other game:

Assassin's creed: super simple:
1) get your guy to be able to jump around on scenery (that's really easy, prince of persia could do that too)
2) get some textures, super easy, you can just make a few drawings each hour.
3) get some new models, that might take a day or two
4) write a nice story, well give it a week.
5) get some music
6) Record the voice lines, shouldn't take longer than a week.
7) Put some buildings down and done.

So on first sight it looks like you could make a game a-la- assassin's creed in about three weeks, with a team of like 10 people. Well, give them $20,-/hour 10 hours/day... that's a budget of 20x10x7x3x10 = $42,000,-

But yea... quite obviously that's not the time scale, the money, the team you're looking at for a game like that. Level design is often underestimated.

To give you another example, last Halloween Zivi7, Mevious and I have released a map called Aperture Halloween, it's a bunch of rooms, which can be solved in under 10 minutes if you know what you're supposed to do. There were some simple puzzles in to show some concepts and a few harder puzzles. Some nice detailing etc. How much time do you think that took the three of us?

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

And to be honest: one of the hardest things to come up with is a simple thing. A thing that introduces something you've been playing with for ages. For portal 2 they could've just stick with the original introduction levels, but they didn't. They changed it in such a way that it's much clearer to new players what's happening.

@Lpfreaky90 sent you pm

I have updated first post, please read it before continue our talks.

You're the one who "doesn't understand", not us. You don't think people are worth enough money for their time. So don't expect to get a lot of people wanting to help you.

PreviousPage 2 of 6Next