Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to modify your maps for the upcoming workshop

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

You should write this up in article form and put it up on the VDC. I have a hard time learning from videos for some reason.

I was kinda surprised at how easy it was to update older maps to upload to the workshop. I love it when things like this are so simple.

There is no good or evil in the world. Thinking makes it so.

I'm trying to refurbish my campaign maps to the workshop as we develop the 2.0 version of my campaign.

But there's something I don't quite understand. The tutorial says you have to use the standard elevator exit logic instances, but i've got like 2 heavily modified ones because some stuff happens at the elevator which is difficult and don't want to throw em away and have to do all that work on the new ones.

In the intro level on my campaign, you are sucked into the elevator and it has lots of differnent push triggers for that and it actually triggers the end level inside the elevator (without starting to move it first)

I have done the following things to my intro departure elevator logic:

to the e_starter logic relay I added
output: OnTrigger
Target entity: core_workshop_integration (which is the fix up name for the pti global ents instance
Target input: instance:@relay_pti_level_end:Trigger

BUt if I play the level it doesn't show up the rating menu.

Am I doing something wrong ? Should I fully upload it to the workshop in order for this menu to work ?

thx

The elevator instances are not important for the workshop. The only thing you need is the PTI-instance. And you have it in your map.
The trigger to end your map only works after you published your map in the workshop. Upload it and everything should work :thumbup: .

Adding to that, you can make sure the trigger worked by opening the console after you hit the trigger. There should be one line with just your map name.

Big Mood

ah, thanks. I'll try that with a demo map of my campaign. I also must bzip all the custom glados sounds and materials that I have.

Oh, maybe i should make a new topic for it but I don't want to cause too much clutter so I ask here. Does anyone have experience packing up the /media folder with bzip ? Will embedded movies work that way ? Otherwise it'd be a good test if I try to port an example map like this.

CosmicD wrote:
ah, thanks. I'll try that with a demo map of my campaign. I also must bzip all the custom glados sounds and materials that I have.

Oh, maybe i should make a new topic for it but I don't want to cause too much clutter so I ask here. Does anyone have experience packing up the /media folder with bzip ? Will embedded movies work that way ? Otherwise it'd be a good test if I try to port an example map like this.

I've tried it before with pakrat, same difference: unfortunately it doesn't work :(

that sucks. I've had some custom movies made and the campaign would be slightly unpolished if I can't include them. I had the same problem back when the vpk packaging still worked, so I went for the "sourcemods" solution.

However with workshop integration I would reach more players with these maps. Dilemma. Perhaps hoping for a post <Holiday Name Here> miracle of valve fixing this up and allowing to include media in bsp's would be nice.

CosmicD wrote:
that sucks. I've had some custom movies made and the campaign would be slightly unpolished if I can't include them. I had the same problem back when the vpk packaging still worked, so I went for the "sourcemods" solution.

However with workshop integration I would reach more players with these maps. Dilemma. Perhaps hoping for a post <Holiday Name Here> miracle of valve fixing this up and allowing to include media in bsp's would be nice.

I tried poking a few valve people before, for similar things, but most of them left the portal 2 team and went to work on different projects, so I don't know if that's a realistic possibility :(

The nasty workaround might be transforming the movies into an animated texture...

@CosmicD and LPFreaky: I've recently done a test to check about this and it works. I use pakrat to embed all my custom content and I tried paking media the same as I do with paking scripts, and it works perfect.

Please subscribe to this test map and check.

I assume you know how to pack the rest of custom stuff using pakrat's automatic scan feature, so I'll only explain how to pack the video (the same goes for scripts) manually:

1. Ofc you'll need pakrat :D
2. It's very important to have pakrat well set-up, so go to File > Preferences, indicate where your portal2 game directory is, select "Ask" in the dialog box beside "Path fixup on add file", and make sure you have everything below checked like so:

3. Click the "Add" button and use the browser to go to your portal2/media folder. You'll see that no video file is appearing at first, this is because below, by default, you are searching for "All valid pak files", so you'll have to choose "All files" instead, like so: (mine is in Spanish, so it says "Todos los archivos" :))

Then your video files will appear.

4. After you select the video and click "Accept", the program automatically will ask you (because we said it to ask us about fixing up the path on adding files) if you want to fix up its path into the bsp, now you have to say YES.

5. You can check the file is perfectly embedded into the bsp if in pakrat you go to "View" and select "As Tree". Your .bik file should be located into a /media folder inside the bsp.

6. Don't forget to save your file by going to File > Save BSP

:thumbup:

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next