Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Guide to Portal Hammer Configuration Part 01

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

Hmm, honestly I'm not sure. You can try following the guide, but I don't know what might be different or not if you don't have HL2. You might have to wait I'm afraid.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Well, considering the Steam SDK doesnt launch unless i have HL2 or something installed (I found this out after I used my friend's login to install HL2). my acct though, only has portal, and the SDK doesnt launch. Kinda bites.

Signature removed, no pyramid scheme links allowed. Read the forum rules for information.
-Thanks, The Management
ChaosDreamer wrote:
So, I take it the only way to get this to work is if you actually have HL2. I only have portal, and I'm A)broke and B) not going to play much HL2. so I guess I'm stuck waiting on the portal SDK.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I believe it _should_ be possible to just extract that stuff into your Portal directory (<usr>/portal/portal), then manually create a game configuration for it. I made a Portal configuration, but it was originally in the HL2 deathmatch folder. Or something. idk, it's wierd. Have a look at my game config file.

Baconfeet :: Any original content was a mistake.

***edit

It seems the SDK will launch now. your idea worked.

Signature removed, no pyramid scheme links allowed. Read the forum rules for information.
-Thanks, The Management

<steam_dir>/steamapps/<username>/sourcesdk/ I believe.

Edit: lol I was too late.

I just put it in the portal folder (<usernameportalportal) and it seems to be somewhat happy. I try to run the hammer editor, and gives me some error

a window pops up and says: the configuration information for the game your trying to edit is invalid or missing

and if i hit run anyway

"gameinfo.txt" doesn't exist in D:games...portalportal"

even though there is a gameinfo.txt in there.

-Thanks, The Management

Are you sure the stuff in the game config file is right? You may need to edit it for your setup.

well, i found out that the game config was a bit wrong. but now that i fixed that, the SDK refuses to launch once again. I put the gameconfig into the steamsdk folder, and into the portal folder, but no luck.

-Thanks, The Management

OH! I remember now. It's /sourcesdk/bin

Gah, sorry about that. It would be replacing a file if you do it correctly.

Well, now that the config seems right, i get the error

FATAL ERROR
"MountFileSystem( 427 ) failed: SteamMountFileSystem(2604,427,0x1324fc74=,0x1324fd74) failed with error 5: No Steam Content Servers are available"

-Thanks, The Management
PreviousPage 3 of 5Next