Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Contest 1010 - Afterburn

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

Interesting shortcut. I tried it and it worked. The slanted door was open when I took that shortcut.

However, if I do play the entire map getting to the chamber and the slanted door is closed again, I don't mind taking the shortcut I found as demonstrated in my video.

As a side comment... In a steam forum two days ago I posted a humorous example of what I wanted to see in Portal 2, which was a shortcut that took the player from the very start of Portal 2, to the very end of Portal 2, thus speedruns would be under 10 seconds and be separated by milliseconds (8.753, 9.743, 9.757, etc)... I did so as a commentary against "Out of bounds" play because I think OoB play takes all the fun out of the game, thus if "anything goes", lets just have some really absurd speedruns that skip the entire game. :)

Quote:
lets just have some really absurd speedruns that skip the entire game.

Amen!

I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/?/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\???????????????????????????????????
_|_

Without any intent of getting personal, I just want to say, I absolutely hate the chamber with the two timed lifts. :)

Its example of hair splitting timing and every step needs to be dead on perfect or the player is forced to start all over from the very start of the chamber. I got very frustrated because I would get to the second lift many times and I would be half second too late. As a player, I really really hate chambers that are designed so that only a perfect run is successful, anything less than perfect results in failure and a complete reset of the chamber. It's no fun failing over and over and over when there no other option than to do everything perfectly. And if on subquent runs I still find I need to do manual saves just to get through a chamber, then I tend to consider the chamber has been over tweaked in terms of difficulty. And with other maps, I have wondered if the designer thinks a good design is when the player fails (and is frustrated) over 80% of the time.

During my first run through of this chamber (two timers, two lifts), I was a few attempts away from quiting the entire map because my thought was that there were going to be more chambers as hard or harder, and I would be spending my time trying to beat timers over and over, all set so a perfect chamber run was absolutely the only possibility.

I don't mind difficult options when its not the only option. In Portal, I've spent hours in a single chamber perfecting near impossible moves, but there were always easier options if what I was attempting had a 98% failure rate.

Lol It's like playing Super Meat Boy. Man that game is so CRUEL! The levels are so small but I see my friend die 99999 times before completing it. :lol:

I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/?/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\???????????????????????????????????
_|_
Whysopro? wrote:
Lol It's like playing Super Meat Boy. Man that game is so CRUEL! The levels are so small but I see my friend die 99999 times before completing it. :lol:

Yeah... I have seen far far worse when it comes to games that go way too far in making the game play difficult for the player. Generally it is just a bad design: "if you can't figure out what to design next, just make the next levels impossiblity hard, and neive players will think it must be cool because it is impossible" :mrgreen:

Some comedian wrote:
Video games are quite harsh, I mean, it is the only medium in which if you are bad at it, it refuses to allow to continue through.

No movie or book will cut through the middle and ask you what are the themes involved or to explain why inception might just be possible

Quite funny stand up comedy :p

Can get the video if you guys want it

Motanum's Website
Portal Maps - Motanum's Cheating Test [3 map pack and 2nd place winner]
Portal 2 Maps - Slanted Bridge | Main Four | Juggling | Wall Bridge
Aperture Tag - Collection ModDB

Like my work? Spare a coin? Donate via PayPal at eugenio.motanum91 [AT] gmail.com

Stay on topic, please.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

I played this map, and found it was quite good, apart from some design flaws . For example, in that chamber where you

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
In the "final boss scene" thing, it was quite confusing as to what had to be done, as it was not made obvious.
I enjoyed it, though.

you are all much good at the portal mapping

sorry for my bad english

fuzion from russia

This map. Just.... wow. So... just... I loved it.
The puzzles were challenging (which is saying something coming from me). I just got so caught up in this map, it was like I was playing portal for the first time all over again. And it was looooong, which I am so grateful for! Not only was it long, but it was consistent! Not like some maps that seem to drag out forever, this one continually engaged me. The looping twisting layout of the chambers and the non-linear feel to it was just so much fun.

Only one puzzle really gave me too much trouble, and that was the one

Spoiler

The

Spoiler
genuinely surprised me, and really made the map stand out. The ending was spectacular.

This is definitely going down in my books as one of THE single best Portal maps.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next