You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Contest 1010 - Afterburn

It would be very possible to implement a few different types of text/hint systems, but I agree with Msleeper that the best solution would be to iterate on the design so that direction is better pointed out by elements in the game world.

Got up a pair of walkthrough videos for the entire map as well, they can be found at the following links: (One of these days I really need to figure out how to encode Youtube videos that retain better quality..)
Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZYwHEUisF8
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKF-wOYSgI

Amran, Thanks for posting your walk through. That is pretty much how I did it, there was a few quicker methods I over looked.

I've played through it a second time and got stuck once again in the room with the slanted door. Oddly enough, this time the slanted door is shut and I can't find the trigger. I don't even know how I triggered it the first time, it just was already in the open position the first time. After a player has completed the game, do you have things setup so that the second playthrough is different?

Here is a demo of that section: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/afterbu ... Closed.zip

To get past this problem, here is what I did: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/afterburn-Shortcut.zip

Is this short-cut part of your design, or just something I found because I couldn't find the trigger to the slanted door?

Thanks

Quote:
but I agree with Msleeper that the best solution would be to iterate on the design so that direction is better pointed out by elements in the game world.

Hmm...I get what you mean. Even changing the direction of a few spot lights can change where the player looks during a level.

I hate hanging with angry people. Why live life if your not having fun ALL the time? =)
O o
/?/___________________________________
| BBBLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGG!!!
\_\???????????????????????????????????
_|_
JackSafari wrote:
Amran, Thanks for posting your walk through. That is pretty much how I did it, there was a few quicker methods I over looked.

I've played through it a second time and got stuck once again in the room with the slanted door. Oddly enough, this time the slanted door is shut and I can't find the trigger. I don't even know how I triggered it the first time, it just was already in the open position the first time. After a player has completed the game, do you have things setup so that the second playthrough is different?

Here is a demo of that section: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/afterbu ... Closed.zip

To get past this problem, here is what I did: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9465221/afterburn-Shortcut.zip

Is this short-cut part of your design, or just something I found because I couldn't find the trigger to the slanted door?

Thanks

Admittedly, I'm not very familiar with playing demos in Source, but every time I reach a certain tick in both files (a few seconds from the beginning) the game crashes. Not sure if there's a common problem known for this, or if I'm just unlucky. :D

By the slanted door, are you referring to the the one that you need to climb in behind to continue? It should be open from the beginning of the level, and only close once the first rocket turret is activated. If you had used noclip and accidentally set it off, that could be the explanation. Or I could be thinking of the wrong door. I am curious about both this, and the shortcut though!

I didn't use noclip during this playthrough, and in general I avoid using noclip because it takes all the fun out of playing. I am more likely to just quit playing before I use noclip.

I will make a video of what I am talking about as far as the slanted door not opening and the shortcut I discovered because the slanted door wouldn't open. If not for the problem with the slanted door, I wouldn't have found the shortcut. Which I think you should leave in because I think it kind of cool and obscure. The shortcut is not a glitch.

Here is my video of the chamber with the slanted door that won't open along with the shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6To13qEA-40

JackSafari wrote:
Here is my video of the chamber with the slanted door that won't open along with the shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6To13qEA-40

I have this exact same problem and I defiantly did not noclip, I spent like an hour in the room before I just gave up and quit because I did not know what to do.

Bet you can't beat my Portal time (16:58.37) :P

My normal signature is ~100 pixels to big :(
Thank you for visiting Thinking With Portals!

Think I may have just found the culprit:

[Image removed: Fixed the bug]

In the second room with the lightrail, do not pass through a portal on this wall. Doing so seals a section later in the map preventing progress, as well as triggers other elements that aren't meant to be activated until later.

I guess this might mean requiring a recompile and reupload, argh.

[Edit: Uploaded a new version that should be fixed]

Krogglidor wrote:
JackSafari wrote:
Here is my video of the chamber with the slanted door that won't open along with the shortcut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6To13qEA-40

I have this exact same problem and I defiantly did not noclip, I spent like an hour in the room before I just gave up and quit because I did not know what to do.

If you didn't want to restart, you can noclip through the closed panel on the right side of the room. (Though some things will be broken, the blast shield will likely already be down, and the turret active.) Or you can use the trick below and skip right to the companion cube room from the beginning:

Quote:
I did include a bit of a cheat that allows one to bypass the first half of the level pack right up to where things start turning towards the reveal. If you've given up on things and just want to skip around, you can place these portals on these surfaces and wait for the intro VO to end to see what I mean. Though as I said, this does skip a good 50% of the level pack.

Another update, I uploaded a new version of the map (1.01) which should have this problem fixed. Thank you to JackSafari for bringing it to my attention!