Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Attn. TWP-ers! TWP in-game Advertising wanted!

PreviousPage 11 of 13Next

@Nacimota: I already said I understand and I agree indeed about the subtle message to be the best option instead of something big and disturbing, but thanks for your detailed explanation. I must REPEAT AGAIN that it was Chicken who emphasized that the web name should be noticeable:

Chickenmobile wrote:
- The site name: thinkingwithportals.com should be absolutely noticeable when looking at your object

That's why I thought of the button frames with a small logo at a corner, because it is noticeable but not as much as that exagerated example by Nacimota. Amongst all submitted ideas I would choose the elevator video by Pixeledface too, because I also think that it has the perfect balance of advertising/subtlety.

msleeper wrote:
I will agree with what has been said about the buttons and fizzlers being too obtuse.

Hmmm.. no one said anything similar related with the buttons frames before YOU, but thanks for stating that your opinion is that they're too obtuse, it's nice to hear :thumbup:

[sarcasm self test completed]

ImageImageImageImageImageuseful tools and stuff here on TWP :thumbup:
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
chickenmobile wrote:
@msleeper, Would like to see a monitor with a TWP advertisement. But would people even notice? O.o

Well, I suppose if the observation room is accessible via portals then the player would examine what's inside.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]
El Farmerino wrote:
2) Convince msleeper to buy http://www.thinkingwithportholes.com

Paypal $9 to paypal@thinkingwithportals.com

chickenmobile wrote:
@msleeper, Would like to see a monitor with a TWP advertisement. But would people even notice? O.o

I have no idea. That's why I want someone to try. I'd do it myself if I had access to my gaming PC.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Okay, msleeper. I made a basic observation room with a vgui_movie on the the monitor. What do you think about this picture? Keep in mind that the movie is just an example, not an ad.

monitor_ad_movie.jpg

If it looks good enough, I'll upload the instance so people can use it. Oh, and if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

As long as the monitor is facing towards the windows the players will be looking through, and either it's not so far away that the image is totally distorted by the refraction, or the monitor is large enough that the needed VGUI will still look fine, then great.

I figure the VGUI movie should be just a big marquee of "THINKINGWITHPORTALS.COM" that scrolls semi slowly in a loop. That, or the site logo, depending on visibility.

Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

What about if the player was able to access the observation room with portals? Observation rooms are usually placed close to the ceiling of the test chamber so it would be kinda hard to see it even if the monitor was somehow right in front of the glass window.

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"

I think if players can access an observation room, then they stop being observation rooms and start being puzzle elements. At that point, what's the difference between this and the ratman scrawlings?

Yes, I realize most players won't see it.

Yes, I realize it probably isn't going to be crystal clear.

Trust me, if I had access to my gaming PC then I'd stop posting and just do it myself.

npc_msleeper_boss wrote:

I knew that was coming.

If I had the time, skills and paypal account necessary to dedicate an entire website to a single joke I totally would. Unfortunately I have none of those, so I think I'll just make the appropriate changes to the poster when I get a chance to actually make it...

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

Oh, I was just going to redirect it here.

Ah, right, that makes sense. In that case, I'll look in into it when I get home on Saturday. If there aren't any big fees for signing up or sending I'll do it.

My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
PreviousPage 11 of 13Next