Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Attn. TWP-ers! TWP in-game Advertising wanted!

PreviousPage 10 of 13Next
josepezdj wrote:
I agree completely, but an easter egg can be missed in a not-so-deep run, and the purpose of this is to advertise, isn't it? It should be noticeable...

Well in that case, why not just put some massive text on the player's screen throughout the whole map:

Yes, intrusive advertising is more likely to get the message across, but it's also more likely to piss off the audience. Why do you think pop-up blockers exist, for example?

There's an entire spectrum between too intrusive and too subtle. The elevator videos provide a perfect balance of noticeability and tasteful subtlety, given that they are highly recognizable (and memorable) and are only shown at the start and end of the level, where the player has basically already been conditioned to see advertisements (even though the aperture advertisements aren't real advertisements, per se).

The rattman graffiti is in some ways even better because easter eggs function as a reward for player exploration. Which means that even though less people will see the rattman overlays, the exposure is actually of a higher impact to them than it would be for something in plain sight.

Putting something like the site logo on fizzlers however, is a perfect example of intrusive advertising. It doesn't fit in with the game's aesthetic style, it makes absolutely no logical sense, and it is (as ChickenMobile points out) too 'in-your-face'.

Nacimota wrote:
The rattman graffiti is in some ways even better because easter eggs function as a reward for player exploration. Which means that even though less people will see the rattman overlays, the exposure is actually of a higher impact to them than it would be for something in plain sight.

I agree with it and that being said, here is the new poster, now as .vmt and .vtf data.
Unzip the .zip open the folder 'TWPrubbish', cut the folder 'Brainstone' and insert it in 'Portal 2 /portal2/materials'
Apply it in Hammer and don't forget to eventually pakrat the texture in your map. ;-)

And also a .png image for you to have a look at the thing before you download it.

EDIT: Created a new sig with Cave. Please give me feedback before I convert this to .vtf

The Aperture Alpha
A map pack coming soon. - click for more information

Very very very good!

Nice posters there!

About the second one, just two things: you spelled "lemons" with two m's, and I (personally) would prefer you not use the word "retarded" as an insult.

Falsi sumus crusto!

You also need a comma after 'however'.

I'm definitely in chicken and nacimota's camp; the ratman scrawl, animation and Brainstone's posters are all fantastic, but the fizzlers and buttons are a bit too much IMO. Still, it would be funny to make one totally twp branded chamber with ads absolutely everywhere, preferably with a stupidly easy puzzle to boot...

I'm away from home without computer access for a while, so in lieu of anything useful here's a little comic strip I sketched:

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!

You guys are so incredibly creative and talented. This sort of stuff is way above what I expected to get back when we were talking about doing this.

I will agree with what has been said about the buttons and fizzlers being too obtuse. The goal of this is to create stuff that mappers can use to subtly advertise the site. Wall scrawlings are good, elevator videos are great. I still would like to see someone do something with observation room monitors, if only because I'm curious how it will look.

Brainstone - Your posters are great. I do have to, very reluctantly, agree with the comment about replacing "retarded" in the one Cave sign. Trust me broseph when I say it's not that I give a shit, I'd just rather not turn off anyone who might be unreasonably offended.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

For the observation monitor, couldn't you try putting a vgui_movie a tiny bit in front of the monitor to look like it's playing something?

Crazy is as crazy does.
My Work
[spoiler]Maps:
Revenge of the Angry Turrets
Capture the Cube [Co-op]
Capture the Cube 2 [Co-op]
TPWEGTH Sample Map
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center
Aperture Aquatic Testing Center 2
Aperture Time Testing Center
ML's Halloween Trick - 1000 downloads!
ML's Halloween Treat
ML's Combination - 1000 downloads!
ML's Jailbreak Labyrinth
ML's Tricky Teamwork [Co-op]
WIP:
"Capture the Cube 3"
Workshop Maps Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008890579/myworkshopfiles/[/spoiler]

That's what I was thinking.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

@Bainstone, Love the poster. But you spelt lemons wrong. (Perhaps replace 'retard' with 'moron')

@El Farmerino, Love the comic! Laughed at the image of a dead bendy (am I weird?). :hi5:
Only problem may be that people would visit thinkingwithportholes.com instead of thinkingwithportals.com

@msleeper, Would like to see a monitor with a TWP advertisement. But would people even notice? O.o

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
chickenmobile wrote:
Only problem may be that people would visit thinkingwithportholes.com instead of thinkingwithportals.com

I can think of two possible solutions to that:

1) Alter it so that 'Thinking With Portals' has an 'X' indicator next to it and put the TWP logo underneath with a checkmark.

2) Convince msleeper to buy http://www.thinkingwithportholes.com.

One of those may be a little easier than the other.

My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
PreviousPage 10 of 13Next