Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A note to newbie puzzle creators: Cutting corners.

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

May someone check my new map for any shortcuts or abuseable glitches/bugs?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=72155403

It is not soo easy, so see it as a challenge!

Example:
Idp4I2imzbY
It was my first map :p

ImageImage
Logic wrote:
Captain obvious, your work here is done...

Grammar (and punctuation) Nazi to the rescue!

Spam at critical levels. Forum overheating. Evacuate immediately.
(Don't listen to him, we'll be fine)

--
Old signature preserved for historical reasons.
I wonder what happens when Cave Johnson gets his pain pills...

This is something I don't get: WHY is it so bad to have alternate solutions?

Yes, if you can get through half the level in one fell swoop that's an exploit, but if you did something either harder or just as hard as the original solution, why condemn it? I've never seen why there must be only one solution. Multiple solutions extend a map's longevity.

Groxkiller585 wrote:

Yes, if you can get through half the level in one fell swoop that's an exploit, but if you did something either harder or just as hard as the original solution, why condemn it? I've never seen why there must be only one solution. Multiple solutions extend a map's longevity.

While theoretically there?s nothing wrong with multiple solutions most of them completely skip a part of your level.
Also sometimes an alternative solution allows a much simpler solution instead of the clever trick you designed.

These two cases are the things that I try to prevent as much as I can. If there?s a somewhat similar solution that more or less uses the same technique it?s fine by me and I do not try to block it.
But that?s just my two cents.

lpfreaky90 wrote:
Groxkiller585 wrote:

While theoretically there?s nothing wrong with multiple solutions most of them completely skip a part of your level.
Also sometimes an alternative solution allows a much simpler solution instead of the clever trick you designed.

These two cases are the things that I try to prevent as much as I can. If there?s a somewhat similar solution that more or less uses the same technique it?s fine by me and I do not try to block it.
But that?s just my two cents.

Which is my point: So long as it isn't breaking too much, then I don't see why the alt solutions must be purged. Some people i've seen are outright condemning maps they play that have multiple solutions that are NOT exploits purely because they have alt solutions...

There are two main reasons I can see for eliminating an alternate solution.

1. It completely bypasses part or all of the puzzle
2. It makes the puzzle easier than what the maker intended

My Maps:
[spoiler][SP] Alternate[/spoiler]

The funny thing about making a test is: You are designing a test, as you make it and change things, you do so with YOUR solution in mind. Turned out that despite what I thought was a one-way one-solution game, there is a way to solve my first map without using the goo-hall I made to get the cube to another room, thereby never using a laser-catcher. I found this out by accident after playing it the bajillionth time and doing the wrong (according to my self-imposed solution) thing. It required only slightly less work, and still felt like a valid solution, even though you missed the bit of foreshadowing in that hall. So I kept it.

It would be as easy as adding a button and linking it to a dropper to fix the problem, but it was good. A bug in my second test, however, that allowed the player to skip the majority of the second half of the map, however, was not left.

The designer is probably not going to be the first person to spot those kinds of problems, and as shown here, they can be for the better or for the worse. But unless the mapper is completely single-sighted or just not really trying, they probably won't leave gigantic obvious ways to skip parts of the map.

shad0w440 wrote:
Example:
Idp4I2imzbY
It was my first map :p

oh please, don't make me laugh
watch as i "solve" this :p
fQelvaqFNlY
i actually feel guilty about this
you put all that efford in such a big map, for me not to ever use it.. :(

this is what we need to prevent!

That map is too big anyways.

My Maps: