Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A note to newbie puzzle creators: Cutting corners.

PreviousPage 4 of 4
Aicxe wrote:
P.S. Is there a post count before avatars and sigs are enabled?
P.P.S. I think high-energy pellets should be on the PTI as well.
P.P.P.S. I registered here cuz I saw the thread about PTI maps, is it stickied? It would be fantastic if it was.

No. It's in the UCP.

Plasma balls are removed from Portal 2. You can add them back in mostly using some material hacks though. Look in the "Other" section in the download database, someone uploaded the files you need.

There is a "pimp your puzzle creator map" sticky in the Release board. There is a "show off your WIP puzzle creator map" sticky in this board. You can also just publish your map like normal through the Download Database; there are super stickies on how to do this in the Release board if you don't know how.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
A great example is chamber 14 in Portal 1. I consider this to be an unintended solution since you completely bypass the entire chamber. I apologize in advance for the abysmal quality of the video.

mSvrp_bQ7Bc

That map is insane. I found so many ways to break it that I'm going to list it:
list of "alts"

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Ya, that is why you want to make sure there are not super-major unintended solutions that will spoil the test.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Camben24
Aperture Science: We do our science asbestos we can!
msleeper wrote:
Yeah but I'm sure that came about after the puzzle was designed...

It did. They talk about it in the commentary. One of the playtesters discovered it and they left it in because it was only obvious to a very small amount of people.

There are unintended solutions to pretty much every Valve map. :lol:

That solution for chamber 14 is obviously intended, the proof is that the time to beat is 10 seconds, absolutely impossible with the "normal" solution :thumbup:

Well, it wasn't originally intended, but Valve were aware of it and hence included it in the challenge mode. I believe it's discussed in the commentary, which I highly recommend playing through if you haven't already.

---------------------------
My maps: Double Bill / Jam / Oval Window / Gymnasium / Gymnasium Part 2 / Minimalism (collection) / Resolution
All feedback welcome!
---------------------------

Can't stress this enough. I built a map and was so pleased with myself, and then my fiance broke it with one portal. I was very unhappy - but it did give me insight into how other people play the maps.

When you can, have other people play your maps - they will think differently and solve the puzzle in ways you didn't expect - which can be awesome or disasterous!

iWork925 wrote:
Arctiq wrote:
For instance,allowing a player to put a box on a button and get to the exit before they are supposed to put a box on a button and make a laser go into a laser receiver, vice versa, etc. etc. Just wanted to let the newbies know! Cheers <3 And happy Sunday <3 :thumbup:

Well, duh.

:potd:

I laughed for like 5 minutes

jamina1 wrote:
Can't stress this enough. I built a map and was so pleased with myself, and then my fiance broke it with one portal. I was very unhappy - but it did give me insight into how other people play the maps.

When you can, have other people play your maps - they will think differently and solve the puzzle in ways you didn't expect - which can be awesome or disasterous!

Did you release it? If so, where can I find it?

Big Mood
PreviousPage 4 of 4