Please or Register to create posts and topics.

A note to newbie puzzle creators: Cutting corners.

Page 1 of 4Next

I just want to post a little note to all the newbie puzzle creators, let players NEVER cut corners! (Well that's a.. Uhh corner cutting machine, we obviously cut them there. :P) What I'm talking about is never let your players do something there not supposed to do. For instance,allowing a player to put a box on a button and get to the exit before they are supposed to put a box on a button and make a laser go into a laser receiver, vice versa, etc. etc. Just wanted to let the newbies know! Cheers <3 And happy Sunday <3 :thumbup:

I've got no idea what you're attempting to say:
Playtest your maps? That's a brilliant tip.

Arctiq wrote:
For instance,allowing a player to put a box on a button and get to the exit before they are supposed to put a box on a button and make a laser go into a laser receiver, vice versa, etc. etc. Just wanted to let the newbies know! Cheers <3 And happy Sunday <3 :thumbup:

Well, duh.

PortalStories.com
"Oh, in case you got covered in that repulsion gel, here's some advice the lab boys gave me: DO NOT get covered in the repulsion gel."

Are you saying this because you've played a lot of maps that have this issue? Or are you just stating the obvious?

Kaleido wrote:
Are you saying this because you've played a lot of maps that have this issue? Or are you just stating the obvious?

Is it too much to assume both?

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
msleeper wrote:
Kaleido wrote:

Is it too much to assume both?

I've been staying away from the PTI for the most part besides a few maps made by regulars on here that also have made Hammer maps... I have no idea how bad it is in there :P

I'm assuming the signal-to-noise ratio is very high. I do very much like how easy it is to put together 90% of a map, though. My guess is that the best PTI maps will be built in the puzzle creator, but finished in Hammer.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.

Captain obvious, your work here is done...

Never use Logic to solve a puzzle, he's an idiot...

I found the maps posted here in the PTI download category to be pretty good so far. The "show recent maps" button in the workshop is something else. There you often get way to huge hallways or easily skipable puzzles.

I thoroughly playtest any maps I make before releasing them to make sure my intended solutions work, that I iron out as many exploits as possible and I listen to feedback. I see no harm in trying maps just because they're PTI creations I have actually played some pretty decent PTI maps, and hell if you don't like one just exit to your main menu and stop playing it.

Page 1 of 4Next