Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[WIP] The Flood

Page 1 of 3Next

Just posted the beginning of my new map in the download directory.
Considering how many problems everybody had with my previous map, and finding a really easy way to solve one of the puzzles, I'm posting this map early for some feedback.

As it stands right now, I think it's a little bit too hard unless you know exactly what to do... you'll see what I'm talking about when you play. Let me know of any glitches / easy solutions / whatever, and let me know what I can do to improve it.

As this is a beta, the lighting / sounds are subject to change, theres also no elevator at the beggining, and just a cake decal for an end.

I have plans to create one or two more puzzles with the gimmick of the map, then branch off at the end for some slower puzzles with a little more thinking to finish it off.

Anyway - enough talk, heres the link
dload.php?action=file&file_id=74

Edit
Forgot the screenshots:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

First off, I want to say that I hate you. And I hate the concept of jump maps being in portal. Portal should be about portals. And not about jumping.

However, I know there will be a market for this sort of thing, as there are people out there who do enjoy jump maps. (my brother, shutupyourface who plays them constantly in CS 1.6 being one of them.)

At the end of the first chamber, which I eventually made it to (please reference the part in which I mentioned I hate you), at the door, I fell off the edge of the map. I just fell and fell and fell.

So when looking at your screenshots, I never made it to shot #2, or shot#3.

Only the first chamber is about jumping, really. Then you start getting in to more portal-esque puzzles. Also... where did you fall off?

Portal maps should be about using portals, but there is no reason why they can't add in jump parts to their maps... it's their maps they can do what they like to them.

So don't tell people what they can/can't do in THEIR maps Lorithad.

Mapster, I know people can do what they want with their maps. I was merly stating my opinion. I also stated that I know some people out there will like that sort of thing.
Either way, Rivid deserves to have honest feedback.

But on the subject of the map itself, I fell through as soon as I came to the door. I'll load up the map and see about taking some screen shots for ya.

Edit:

As you can see, there isn't actually a door. I'm not sure if this is the result of needing to save (and load - a lot )once I got to the first portalable surface of the jump chamber, but that is pretty much the only thing that I can think of that would set my run of the chamber apart from others.

Ok, I have no idea how that happened. Somehow the .rar I made with the sounds and stuff in it kind of disappeared and reverted to the first .rar I made, when I compiled the map with room 2 and room 3 invisible...

Uploaded the version with all 3 rooms now... there should be custom GLaDOS voice in there (which is probably not final either... doesn't sound that great) sorry for you guys who downloaded the 1 room version :oops:

Note to the few who already downloaded it... i renamed it to the_flood, instead of just flood. so type

map the_flood

in the console to run the new version... and delete your old flood.bsp

Well, with that version I can get to the other rooms. However, this time there's a new problem: None of the turrets fire.

In the third chamber:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Curious. I downloaded the .rar off the site and copied over all my versions of my files, and my turrets fire just fine.

Also, in the 3rd room thats the right idea

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
however, this is the type of thing I'm looking for. I had initially thought there wasn't enough time to do the puzzles, just wondering what other people say.

Anybody else with turret issues?

i'm getting alot of missing textures on this map, and many maps people are putting out.

Quote:
env_cubemap used on world geometry without rebuilding map. . ignoring: glass/glasswindow_frosted_002

it seem noone else is having this issue, does anyone know what's going on or how to fix this?

The first room (well the first room with puzzles in I guess, not the ante-chamber) is all purple to me. Can't see a thing in there...

Page 1 of 3Next