Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[WIP] Emprisonment

Page 1 of 3Next

this is the start of my companion cube level, its still a proof of concept, need still getting it to work

what got me started on this was wanting to work more with triggers, relays all that crap. So I thought up something that would envolve tons and tons of them, in a very limited space... theres many many triggers and relays to be made...

this is the first puzzle or 'game' of the map, you are given both a Companion cube and a companion sphere, right now the cube is hidden because it doesn't work yet.

in the left corner, with the brightest light, are 2 raised brushes forming a small box, drop the sphere into it to start the game (im going to make it a button, or something later on, it just shows where the trigger is.)

things to note:
-the computer doesn't know how to play yet, you get to play yourself
-there is no victory condition

this map at this stage is mostly show and tell :P
download-> dload.php?action=file&file_id=81
mirror -> http://www.box.net/shared/ssyp9ra7gr

anyways... try and figure out what it is...

before reading this ->

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

pretty neat, i like the idea of playing a game to go on. different puzzle mindset

Very neat idea; it just shows there is no limit to what you can do with this stuff if you are a Master of Hammer! Just to make sure I understood what was going on (ie controls, what was going to drop, etc), I had a row of each color before I looked at your answer, first try. Its hard to judge the puzzle-hardness since everyone has a different aptitude for this stuff, but it might be a little easy; even if so, it MORE than makes up for it with sheer uniqueness, IMO. Great job!

lol thanks

you will be presented with a cube and a sphere, sphere always goes first

you make your choice by placing the according shape in a bin, the other is destroyed or something

if you chose box, then anytime there is a sphere in the dropper, the computer will choose where to drop it, and you will lose if the computer gets 3 in a row, or if no one gets 3 in a row.

obviously sphere will be the easiest to win, making it hard to win with cube but winning with cube will ease things later in the level

I have a TON of triggers relays and other such entities left to add to have the computer make his move based on what has been done already

EDIT: I'm also having you have to 'win' back your portal gun, as it was taken away during your encarceration. if you win with the ball you get a blue portal gun, win with a box you get orange. later in the level both halves are available through puzzles so you can get the complete gun

sounds awsome. i got the tictacktoe thing after i dropped the second box, but i would warn you against making too many clues or making it to easy. personally, i would like to see some myst type portal maps, i think that would be really cool, and i see your map taking a first step down that path. with more mystery puzzles out there maybe i wont burn through hard to make maps so fast. :wink:

Very neat idea!

Maybe

Spoiler
isn't such a good idea though, seeing as it's unwinnable if played perfectly by both sides... You'll have to make the computer play less than optimal...

connect four might be ideal

This was a triumph.
"Remember, the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'Goodbye', and you were like 'No way!', and I was all, 'We pretended we were going to murder you'. That was great!"

I thought about connect four, its a lot more complex than

Spoiler

I know that if the computer plays perfectly going first its impossible to win, but if you dont know that you'll be stuck :P you have to choose to go first or second, if you go first you can win, second you will lose, unless I make the computer less than ideal.

Ive also thought about making a rubik's cube puzzle... might be too hard for people though... (I can solve them)

A tic-tac-toe computer shouldn't be too hard to create. It would need a lot of triggers, though.

http://www.dpgames.co.uk/

Sanity is not statistical.

I'm doing a

Spoiler
mini game.

[Important Threads] Forum Rules | Welcome to the new Thinking With Portals
Please do not Private Message me for assistance. Post a thread if you have questions or concerns.
If you need to contact the staff privately, contact the Global Moderators via Discord.
Page 1 of 3Next