Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[WIP] Emprisonment

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
Artesia wrote:
I know that if the computer plays perfectly going first its impossible to win, but if you dont know that you'll be stuck :P you have to choose to go first or second, if you go first you can win, second you will lose, unless I make the computer less than ideal.

It doesn't matter who goes first though. If both sides play perfectly it will always be a draw...

But doing a "less than perfect" computer opponent will probably be a lot easier than doing a perfect one, especially if you're doing it all using just the input/output system.

A

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
should be easier to create to be honest (since you won't need a computer opponent) and imo a lot more fun :)

Sweeeet. This was fun to play even though

Spoiler
, which is a really good sign. Nice job on the lighting of the
Spoiler

I was thinking that if you do plan to

Spoiler
:)

Cr00ked.

I didn't really like the push button control of the cube dropper.

It just seemed very...slow.

Idealy, It would be great if portals could be involved somehow.
when I first thought about how portals could make a difference, i thought of this:

Give the player the blue portal only gun.
Create a glass chamber in a corner, that it is impossible for the player to get into (but can still see into). At the top of the chamber, there would be a cube/sphere dispenser. When the player activates the puzzle (however you choose to do that), an orange portal appears below the dispencer.
Then the player places the blue portal on where he wants his cube/sphere to drop. A button would control when the dispencer releases it's cube/sphere.
though some way of making it so the player can't retrieve the cube/sphere would need to be devised. And there would need to be some sort of way to prevent the player from putting a portal where there has already been one. AND you'd need a way to prevent the player from screwing with the computer's choices.

There are a lot of problems with using portals for this kind of puzzle. So I understand why you did what you did. Still, it would be nice to not have to rely on so many buttons.

It's a wonderful concept, and I commend your efforts on it.
And also, A rubriks cube would be an amazing feat. However, it would be something i'd never be able to solve. ...Stupid rubriks cubes.

Coming from a programmers perspective... making a computer play optimally isn't that hard. Making an opponent appear somewhat intelligent, while still having flaws is actually harder, imo. Easy is 100% perfect or 100% random. But yeah,

Spoiler

On another note: Awesome.

originally there were 3 buttons, one left to right for each direction, and a drop button... but so many lights started causing problems... Originally all the partitions were glass, I decided to add metal panes to block the light and solve those problems... which caused the problem that the player had to run around the game board, having to run around to get back to the button remembering where to move the dropper was annoying, so I added copies of the buttons around the rest of the game board.

on a side note, the other day when I made the post about bouncelight, I realized that hammer makes me forget my 3d knowledge, although easily regained... I need to work in max a bit more :P

so im not gonna worry about this map for a bit, after all it started as a "I wonder if I could" lol

[insert visually obtrusive graphic or witty comment here]

It may be more helpful if

Spoiler

it was originally like that actually, problem is with so many different lights, it gives errors... errors even as how you guys are playing it, but when they are all glass then the errors are noticable, where certain cells wont light up because the light was disabled due to too many lights...

I want to have them all glass, sadly they didn't write the engine for things like this so I had to figure something out to make the lights show :s

Artesia wrote:
originally there were 3 buttons, one left to right for each direction, and a drop button... but so many lights started causing problems... Originally all the partitions were glass, I decided to add metal panes to block the light and solve those problems... which caused the problem that the player had to run around the game board, having to run around to get back to the button remembering where to move the dropper was annoying, so I added copies of the buttons around the rest of the game board.

I think it would be better if you simply made 9 ceiling tiles above the game board where you could then place a portal to drop your box as you please. When a tile is occupied you would retract the corresponding ceiling tile to make that place unportable.

It would make it feel more Portal-like, but of course might ruin your plan to make this game the deciding factor between whether you get the blue or orange portal gun afterwards... Unless you can take the gun away from the player again?

I thought about that, but it would involve taking away the cool moving box dropper in lew of a boring tiled ceiling... also I would need a bunch of portal detectors and fizzlers to make it so once you choose only one drops and you cant choose there again... and that portal gun would have to be able to fire only one portal as the other one would have to be in a hidden room for the objects to drop into...

all in all, I wanted it to be more like... "cool a portal level... wait... what? tic-tac-toe wtf?!" and I rather like the system I have for moving the box dropper back and forth :P

as it is now, im not really working on this or anything really, kinda lost motivation for the time being... :?

Artesia wrote:
as it is now, im not really working on this or anything really, kinda lost motivation for the time being... :?

What a slacker. You make such good stuff though :(

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next