Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread

PreviousPage 4 of 257Next

Dude, if you weren't such an ace mapper or these screens didn't look so sweet, I might hesitate to play another Portal 1 map. But, damn.

"Games are made out of smaller games ? turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn?t deserving of the name." --Raph Koster

Seconded. I don't know what your current career is but you could certainly make a living off being an architect, I'll say that.

Keep up the unbelievably awesome work.

(Keep in mind, ladies and gentlemen, that he's doing this without instances.)

Now with 100% more inline comments!

Thanks! I do feel kind of lonely being probably the last guy on the planet who's mapping for Portal 1, but I've put so much time into this map already, it would be a shame not to finish it :)

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic

Few pics of my WIP map:

The Corrupted - 1st place winner of the ThinkingWithPortals.com mapping contest 2012 !!

Looking nice,though it seems a bit dim for ceiling light. It also doesn't look like you added a static light along with env_projectedtexture, adding one is pretty much needed so the gun doesn't look dark when it's in bright sunlight. The second picture's ceiling tiles look very thick. (they should be the size of the bounding box of the frames that the frames themselves do not take up.) also in that screen, the glass is clean when it should be dirty.

Apart from that tho it's very nice mapping. :thumbup:

Really liking the look of Robdon's map. It has a unique claustrophobic feel that reminds me of underground carparks. Perhaps the fog shouldn't extend all the way into the ceiling though; it seems like that part should be kept dark.

HMW wrote:
Thanks! I do feel kind of lonely being probably the last guy on the planet who's mapping for Portal 1, but I've put so much time into this map already, it would be a shame not to finish it :)

Portal 1 FOREVER! Your map looks amazing!

This is just a couple of shots from a current map I'm working on. The shots are from just one of the rooms you need to complete.

If anyone could give me some tips on lighting...that would be great. =]

2011-07-20_00001.jpg

2011-07-20_00002.jpg
Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||
Lostprophetpunk wrote:
If anyone could give me some tips on lighting...that would be great. =]

I'm still starting out with P2 mapping but I found that a good starting point is to add an observation room instance plus env_projectedtexture light. (Look at "sp_a2_column_blocker.vmf" for an example.)

Also there are a lot of instances available of the light strips behind glass. ("instances/lights/light_panel_*"). These work well to fill in dark areas of a room, especially with the black, clean style you're using.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic
HMW wrote:
I'm still starting out with P2 mapping but I found that a good starting point is to add an observation room instance plus env_projectedtexture light. (Look at "sp_a2_column_blocker.vmf" for an example.)

Also there are a lot of instances available of the light strips behind glass. ("instances/lights/light_panel_*"). These work well to fill in dark areas of a room, especially with the black, clean style you're using.

Thanks so much. =] This will be very helpful in the completion of my map. (still have a lot to do).

I appreciate the feedback very much.

Some of my Portal 2 maps || Mini-Faith || Careful Cube || Vertical Reach ||

|| Need help uploading a map...new user? Read my Map Uploading Guide ||
|| Want to play custom maps, but don't know how? Read my Playing Portal 2 Custom Maps Guide ||
PreviousPage 4 of 257Next