You need to log in to create posts and topics.

The ThinkingWithPortals Map Showcasing Thread

Robdon wrote:
Thanks :)

Yes, I'm working on the lighting at the moment, as I'm not happy with it... Probably the hardest bit I think.

I think the map could use some natural light from the destroyed ceiling with some artificial lights mixed in.

aborttrap wrote:
This is my first attempt at a full-on map for Portal 2 (or the Source engine for that matter!), and let me simply say that I've been loving it the further you get into it :)

Looks fantastic so far for your first map!
The only thing that is bothering me is that dull-warmish-neutral looking light. Would it look better if it was cool? Perhaps a bit of color variance is what it needs.

?????????????????????????????TWP Releases | My Workshop
Marlovious wrote:
Looks good robdon, might be a little bright for a destroyed map though.

Ok, here they are again, but with darker lighting, and with fog and shadowing added...

Better?

Its amazing how much 'atmosphere' it can change by just adding these :)

Only problem is, its hard to get a balance between light/dark. Depending on if I do it in the daytime or later at night, and get something that works for both real life lighting/play times.

Click to enlarge:
Image
Click to enlarge:
Image
Click to enlarge:
Image

My Portal2 Map: Trapped

My Travel Blog:
Image

That looks alot better than before. I really like that look, please keep it! :thumbup:

First of all, I'm really encouraged by all the awesome screenshots that are being posted here. Especially from brand-new mappers! Second, I figured I'd toss in a screenshot of a project of my own. The water spouts are decorative but I'm not sure the player wouldn't try to use them; I'm thinking of adding a cage/glass tube down to the water surface to drive home the point.

Also, I discovered that even if your computer runs horribly on the high settings--as mine does--if you set AA to 16X and set all the effects, shaders, etc. to high and then build the cubemaps it looks awesome.

Click to enlarge (full resolution 1280x800):

Image

Image
Now with 100% more inline comments!

Image

WIP. Comments?

Image

Also WIP. Different map.

Image
chickenmobile wrote:
aborttrap wrote:
This is my first attempt at a full-on map for Portal 2 (or the Source engine for that matter!), and let me simply say that I've been loving it the further you get into it :)

Looks fantastic so far for your first map!
The only thing that is bothering me is that dull-warmish-neutral looking light. Would it look better if it was cool? Perhaps a bit of color variance is what it needs.

Thanks! And yeah, the light next to the gel was originally cool-coloured but I forgot to change it later on.

@ Robdon: It looks a lot better with the fog - now you've got a really nice balance between the warm and cool tones :)

@ WinstonSmith: Looking great, but maybe there's too much variation between light and dark tiles? IMO, I think it distracts from the overall look of the puzzle.

@ Groxkiller: Both shots look very Valve-like. In the first picture, are you planning to expand the roof area? Maybe the wall texture in the top-right looks a little bare. Second map looks excellent!

Cyberwurx Web Hosting
aborttrap wrote:
@ WinstonSmith: Looking great, but maybe there's too much variation between light and dark tiles? IMO, I think it distracts from the overall look of the puzzle.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I made the walls as busy as they are because I'm constantly on my guard to make sure that the chamber environment isn't boring. I suppose that could lead to making it too distracting.

Image
Now with 100% more inline comments!
aborttrap wrote:
@ Groxkiller: Both shots look very Valve-like. In the first picture, are you planning to expand the roof area? Maybe the wall texture in the top-right looks a little bare. Second map looks excellent!

True. I'll look into adding some scaffolding or trusses up there. Thanks for the feedback!

Image

Hi, I thought I'd finally share some screens of the thing that's been consuming about 100.5% of my free time lately........

(By the way, all of your Portal 2 screens look amazing! I can't wait starting on a Portal 2 map after this one is done.)

clicky ==>

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Sendificate series: Sendificate | A Beam Too Far | Airtime | 302
Other Portal 2 maps: Medusa Glare
Portal 1 maps: Try Anything Twice | Manic Mechanic