Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Take-Off

PreviousPage 2 of 8Next

Now I am stuck in the same room but I managed to get the ball on the button which turned off the two laser walls. I have placed a blue portal in the bottom of the pit. Now I need to go to the ledge above the pit I came from into the large room but I cannot do it without losing access to the part where the ball is put on the button. Other options I thought of involve pushing the switch to request another ball but that turns on the lasers again and does not help me move forward. A walkthrough would be really helpful. Any clues, please?

Test Chamber 74:
(percentage calculation sphere self-test failed!)
108.1% done, -8.1% remaining...
Released here!

All maps for Portal (1/2) worth playing are mirrored here.
Mek wrote:
Now I am stuck...Any clues, please?

A few hints. Use as many as you think you need:

Hint 1:

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

Hint 2:

Spoiler

Hint 3:

Spoiler

Hint 4:

Spoiler

I managed it! Here is how:

Spoiler

Well, now I am stuck again... man, this is hard. How the hell do I get to the button I just opened a way to? All the options of flinging fling me way too far or too near. Yes, I did think about it myself. For a long time. But I don't want to noclip over.

Test Chamber 74:
Released here!

Mek wrote:
I managed it! Here is how...

No, this is not the intended solution. I would never make

Spoiler
an intended solution to a puzzle unless I were making a map that was supposed to be the ultimate challenge for elite portal players. (Then I would weave it in with a complex web of other actions needed to solve the puzzle.) But a futher hint to the intended solution is that
Spoiler

I actually consider the intended solution for getting to the first "button in a glass box" (hand switch-type button, that is) harder than that for getting to the second. Getting to the first is more complex.

The "too short, or too far" phenomenon on the last puzzle you mentioned was exactly the basic concept that I built this map around. This is the concept that makes the centerpiece of this chamber unique. Hint:

Spoiler

Exceedingly hard as one progresses. The fling to the door from the main chamber, sorry just couldn't make it - when I flew to the door it always closed just as I landed in front of it - frustrating (noclipped). The final slide chamber, WOW, I think I know what is needed, but I just couldn't place the first portal no matter how many times I fell through (noclipped). Really well done map and very challenging, but too hard for me near the end....Still thanks for creating and 5/5.

Nah, just realised

Spoiler

Spoiler

Test Chamber 74:
Released here!

Mek wrote:
Nah, just realised I can put a portal above that ledge with the button :o

This is something that, looking back on it, I think to myself: Oh my god, how could I have let that through! :x

The crazy thing is that I actually did put a portal up there a while back, but I was standing on the projecting platform, and my brain never made the connection as to why being able to put a portal there would be a problem. Then, yesterday, I was thinking about the time I had done that, and it dawned on me that the player would likely be able to do that from the ground. So I actually caught that before I saw your last post, but wasn't able to upload a fix until today.

So, a portal at the top of the box is not the intended solution, I'm afraid. Apologies to everyone who did that and thought that it was.

[EDIT: Here's a light hint to the intended solution to this puzzle:

Spoiler
]

This should pretty much give it away: The intended solution is

Spoiler
starting
Spoiler
You want to
Spoiler

As far as the secrets go, Mek, did you see the domed rotunda next to the first room? (It has a book and 4 pedestals in it.)

Sword of Apollo wrote:
As far as the secrets go, Mek, did you see the domed rotunda next to the first room? (It has a book and 4 plynths in it.)

Of course I did.

Spoiler
?

Test Chamber 74:
Released here!

Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.
Very hard puzzles with simple solutions. That's what portal is all about. Now at the part where I fall dooooowwwn. Gotta get some sleep. Will continue tomorrow.

LLQuinten wrote:
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.
[...]

Thanks. I put some seriously long hours into this map. I'm glad you like the way it turned out. :)

PreviousPage 2 of 8Next