Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Too Many Variables

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

When I watched my playthrough today, I thought "why was there a laser at all?" I don't know, but I ninjaed it like a boss.

DlFDFvsNzD8
(Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFDFvsNzD8)

lol @ 7 mins & 9:35

Released content
Withdrawal Symptoms - V2.0.3 (community round-up // 1500 downloads)
Your choice - V2.0 (community round-up // 1000 downloads)
Too Many Variables - V1.0

Work in progress
Project Upgrade

Gee, thanks, Djinndrache, another ninja skill to practice: climbing walls by jumping out of and back into a portal. Just how long do you think it will be before some sadistic mapper decides to make that a part of a puzzle?

I'm adding this map to my playlist of training maps, because of that one strafe jump. If I can get to the point where I can do that jump 100% of the time, I'll be 0.01% of the way to becoming the next BananasaurusRex.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]
Djinndrache wrote:
When I watched my playthrough today, I thought "why was there a laser at all?" I don't know, but I ninjaed it like a boss.

Heh, same... it was some time after recording that I remembered there was an area with 1 dot :S
Uber jumping skills though.

KennKong wrote:
Gee, thanks, Djinndrache, another ninja skill to practice: climbing walls by jumping out of and back into a portal. Just how long do you think it will be before some sadistic mapper decides to make that a part of a puzzle?

I first found this "exploit" in a map by lpfreaky90; I don't remember the mapname. I used it in a few maps so far, however I guess none really required it yet :p

Silic - so far I love the map and needed no straf to get into Fot 1 - instead I jumped into Dot 2 and then simply jumped across to Dot 1 (took about 5 tries though). Anyway I am experiencing bugs it seems. Or am I doing something wrong ? I do not want to see Video solution until I give it the old College try !!!

BUG 1 - Dots not in Order. In room one I tried going by the order of the Dots.
However Dot 1 had no way to get through because a glass plate blocked me. Apperently Dot 1 is not the first place to go.

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
I killed the cube using the Fizzler in Dot 3 and went back to get a clean one.
BUG 2 - no cube ever appeared to replace the fizzled cube !! I went back and pressed all 5 buttons but no new cube would drop

So I started again and this time I realized that the Blue screens have a symbol showing they will clean the cube.
BUG 3 - the Blue Screens do NOT CLEAN THE CUBE. I tried going through both Blue Screens repeatedly and neither cleaned the gel off. I even restarted the game - to no avail.

Can you help me ?? Thanks a lot.

PC Doc

For me the gel washed off but only in the beginning.
I also used the gelled cube to bounce around and

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.
- and after-wards could not wash it off. For some reason the blue fields had no effect on the cube at that point.

I tried PC Doc's idea of destroying the cube to go and get a fresh cube, but no cube ever dropped into place. Determine to find out what was happening, I NoClipped and carried the cube back to the beginning and destroyed it there - then I rushed over and saw the cube dropper slats open !! I even saw 2 cubes stacked up in there - but they just stayed there and did not drop. So I retried and when the slats opened I grabbed a cube and pulled it down. That worked but I was in NoClip mode so it is a moot point. Good ideas in the map but a few bugs that ruined it for me. If those bugs were fixed I would rate it highly.

Part 2, first half - was very cool to execute.

Hi doc,

There are some issues with your bug findings, and also i have given you a hint for bug 1 ;)

Quote:
BUG 1 - Dots not in Order. In room one I tried going by the order of the Dots.
However Dot 1 had no way to get through because a glass plate blocked me. Apperently Dot 1 is not the first place to go.

The dots are correct, the glass can be broken. If you have played the coop maps or understand hammer style hints. remember there was a map with this model in it : "props_destructionbox_frame.mdl" It was used in a very unique way with glass which i have not seen in many maps. It is most probably why you are struggling at this point.

Quote:
BUG 2 - no cube ever appeared to replace the fizzled cube !! I went back and pressed all 5 buttons but no new cube would drop

This is a bug with the way i have designed the cube droppers... which I can replecate on occasion but not all the time.. I have scanned through the tmv_start.vmf which i released, and all the triggers which would cause the cube to respawn on fizzle or destruction are in place.

There are two cases which i have purposely caused no cube to spawn.

Method 1:
There is a tiny bug (if anything) in that if you in quick sucession Destroy cube after cube, meaning 2 cubes in a row, the third cube will be stuck in the catcher itself. but you can only do this bug inside the little room 5, else its impossible to replecate quick cube destruction.

Method 2:
There is also a bug in the way portal 2 saves the game. Due to i have to use a brush to stop the replacement cube from falling (I have phased these types of cube droppers from my maps now) If you destroyed the first cube, save the game, then reload it again once the cube dropper has reset itself back to standing position. The cube will be stuck in mid-air, unable to drop. This is also rare, and i have only been able to replecate it twice now out of the 12 times ive tried it... might happen more on others pc's im not sure, but for me i have found that.

I wont be replacing these cube droppers. due to i have not much love for these maps in to sort out a rare bug. If the cube is destroyed without quicksaves etc being used. no issue should happen.

Quote:
BUG 3 - the Blue Screens do NOT CLEAN THE CUBE. I tried going through both Blue Screens repeatedly and neither cleaned the gel off. I even restarted the game - to no avail.

Once again, Just looked thorough the vmf, and also (After writing out the first response to bug 2, i went and decompiled the version of the map i released and all the trigger points are there to cleanse the cube. Way i worked the cleanses was to have a trigger paint cleanser, which stops any paint from landing in the map in that certain point. It also cleanses paint from cubes and the like when passed thorough them. On both of the paint cleansing points (and also some hidden ones to ensure the map doesnt become impossible due to silly paint flings) are all there.

Just to make 100% sure to myself, and to a relatively full help in your issue, i recompiled the first map and replayed it with no issues encountered. I have re-released the new compiled map as a update in-case you somehow got a dodgy copy, and hopefully this solves the issues you have with the paint cleansers. I have ALSO included the .vmf files so you are welcome to scan thorough them, or even compile them yourself incase its something to do with my pc not compiling in the way your pc likes it. But from my end, i can actually see Nothing wrong. (i was REALLY hoping to to basically say, yep you are right sorry! :/)

Silic

Released content

Work in progress
Project Upgrade

Thanks for the detailed response.
The Bugs are shown in this video (I skipped much of the initial 5 fizzler part and used NoClip to speed up the display of what is happening).

I thought you might be interested to see what is actually happening.
It shows how the Gel can be removed initially but not later.
It also shows the dropper problem and the ability to pull the cube out of the dropper as a workaround.
I did try a re-download and started the Map from scratch several times. Not sure what is happening.

But let me know if you have a newer version - thanks again.

E-Y1XhOSD7Y

interesting. shall investigate further then

Released content

Work in progress
Project Upgrade
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next