Please or Register to create posts and topics.

[SP] Too Many Variables

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

I kinda thought I'd be pissed off at the jumpy part of Part1, but y'know.. there's no shame in quicksave!
I didn't have enough space for a blind run, so instead; here's a chopped together solution.
(Minus the deaths).
It's clearly unintended given that I completely skipped Dot1 and took my pal Barry for a ride in the elevator, but I'm sure it has its merits :)

Parts 2 and 3 were fairly straightforward, but I liked the consistant theme and attention to detail throughout.
Funfun.

DkEKn-emFfo

I hate blue gel puzzles, I should learn to just not play them. I couldn't get to the one dot platform, and noclipped from there on. The funnel puzzle was too tight for me, I just couldn't hit the button and turn to look down in time. I won't rate it if I can't play it.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]

Bigspoilers are silic's quotes.

level 1

Spoiler
Sorry, only logged-in users can see spoilers.

OF COURSE! How could I have missed that?!

level 2

Spoiler

I am very bad at timing stuff... So this was near-impossible to me.

level 3

Spoiler

Well, this one has a Lp-seal off aproval:

cheers for feedback. (and these are by far my worst creations in my view :p)
I still thought they were worth a nice 4/5!

Still retarded... trying to get the bounce right in room 2 without dying is doable but tough.. not doable enough to warrant more than a 2/5 though...

ok just loaded up lvl2.. quit within 30 seconds.. another die 8000 times level.. not fun. Just retarded..

I can see why people dislike blue gel puzzles. But iirc in this case you just had to drop down onto the platform covered in blue gel while hitting the crouch-button. Then move forward facing number 2 and press jump - it should be the correct heigth to get into the room easily.

first jump hold down "A" and turn once hitting the blue gel, this allows you to straif into the room to your left

Once there get the laser portal set up

jump across to the second "little" room with the cube to open the fizzler to the 3rd room

Jump down onto the blue gel, holding crouch. This stops you on the centre.

Jump into the 3rd room, the height was done exactly so you could do this and not to cause annoyance trying to force yourself in from such a great height. Im not that mean ;)

I wont go into the rest of the solution, but you get the ideaeaeaaaaaaahh....

Released content
Withdrawal Symptoms - V2.0.3 (community round-up // 1500 downloads)
Your choice - V2.0 (community round-up // 1000 downloads)
Too Many Variables - V1.0

Work in progress
Project Upgrade

This was an odd map-pack to play. Serene in some parts and frustrating in others with lots of deaths thrown in. Your solution for breaking the glass held me up for a long time. I tried throwing the cube against -- no break. I tried bouncing myself against it -- no break. Decided it couldn't be bounce cube against it, since test one failed. Argh!

Two small things: the cube falls into the deactivated AFP in level one. And you can lose the cube through the floor in the same room (around the tube that goes through the floor). I know, you're wondering "why would anybody be stupid enough to do that?" Well, all I can say is: desperate times call for desperate measures.

RogerL wrote:
I know, you're wondering "why would anybody be stupid enough to do that?" Well, all I can say is: desperate times call for desperate measures.

this made me laugh.

Like i said, this was a testing ground for me. but i decided that it was built enough as a level that i could release them, and let you guys see my madness when im mucking about with stuff. The concept was to use the first "room" you come into with all the tubes and glass to be like a lobby in you always return to that room after completing a chamber.

In the next map in the chain (which i never completed) you came back into the room and go through the glass which you cracked the first time. Opening the bottom part of that chamber up. But i doubt i will complete these chambers, i am working on a much better project at the moment :)

Released content
Withdrawal Symptoms - V2.0.3 (community round-up // 1500 downloads)
Your choice - V2.0 (community round-up // 1000 downloads)
Too Many Variables - V1.0

Work in progress
Project Upgrade

OK, so I managed to get through it with only about 100 deaths on the strafe jump alone, and another 25 or so on the funnel fling. It may not seem very ninja to you, but this map kung-fu'ed my ass up, down and sideways.

But I'm OK with maps like this, because they push my skills to new limits. I wouldn't enjoy more than a few chambers of it, though. So I won't miss it if you don't finish this map pack anytime soon.

All that whining aside, I thought it was a decent map in the puzzle department because it required some re-use of elements and it was a definitely non-linear solution in parts. In the looks department, it was clean and simple and not very enticing. Some areas were rather cramped. I really hate narrow hallways with lasers down the middle or that you have to maneuver with cubes. I liked the use of the disassembly stations as elevators. So when it's all said and done, I give it a 4/5.

Expand for my full signature
[spoiler]My YouTube Channel: Please subscribe!
My Steam Workshop Check out my collections for some good maps
Basic Mod for playing .vpk files Needs to be updated for dlc2, but still works[/spoiler]
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next